Army changes story about soldier's death

Duty Honor Country

Army knew for a year he was not killed in action

Saturday, September 10, 2005; Posted: 1:48 p.m. EDT (17:48 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The U.S. Army said Saturday it knew for more than a year that 1st Lt. Kenneth Ballard was not killed in action in Iraq, as it initially reported.The family was not told the truth until Friday.

Ballard's mother, Karen Meredith, of Mountain View, California, is a public critic of the war. She traveled last month to Crawford, Texas, to participate in the protest outside President Bush's ranch by another grieving mother, peace activist Cindy Sheehan.

On Memorial Day in 2004, the day after Kenneth Ballard died, the Army informed his family that he had been killed by enemy fire while on a combat mission in the south-central Iraqi city of Najaf...

READ MORE

Did they want to upset his parents and family by telling them that he died due to an accident, or that he died serving his country. In Britain when I was in the forces all the next of kin were told was that you had been killed but not why or where. I still have people contacting me wanting know if knew how a family member died in my Regiment.

Back