April 9, 1940

--

March 6th, 2015  
Kesse81

Topic: April 9, 1940

April 9, 1940
Denmark is invaded by Germany.
This new Danish movie tells for the first time the story of the Danish soldiers who took up the fight against German supremacy.
I look forward to seeing it.

March 7th, 2015  
tetvet

Location of Denmark was its downfall the Germans wanted Norway so Denmark had to go , I think it took a whole week for Germany to occupy Denmark .
March 7th, 2015  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetvet
Location of Denmark was its downfall the Germans wanted Norway so Denmark had to go , I think it took a whole week for Germany to occupy Denmark .
Be thankful Germany never had a border with the USA as it would only taken them an extra week to have occupied that as well.

I hope the movie is released in English as it looks interesting.
--
March 7th, 2015  
BritinAfrica

Members of a private rifle club in Norway held up the advance of German Para's. Riflemen caused so much damage the para's had to fall back and regroup.
March 8th, 2015  
Kesse81

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetvet
The Danish government surrendered one hour and forty-five minutes after Germany had crossed the border.
March 8th, 2015  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesse81
The Danish government surrendered one hour and forty-five minutes after Germany had crossed the border.
Realistically what else could they have done.

The Danish resistance movement was one of the most effective in Europe, the rescue of its Jewish population was a good example of this.
March 8th, 2015  
Kesse81

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
Realistically what else could they have done.

The Danish resistance movement was one of the most effective in Europe, the rescue of its Jewish population was a good example of this.
There was nothing we could do.
The Danish military was almost dismantled by pacifist politicians after WW I and Germany was in any event too strong.
March 9th, 2015  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
The Danish military was almost dismantled by pacifist politicians after WW I and Germany was in any event too strong.
Britain is heading down that road right now, Britain spends more on foreign aid then the military.

A senior US officer warned Cameron that the military cuts will render the British Military an ineffective force. Its absolutely disgraceful.
March 9th, 2015  
MontyB

Quote:
I agree entirely I was really just responding to Tetvet's sarcasm about it taking Germany a "whole week to occupy it", given that there was little if anything the Danish government could do to prevent occupation and with no ability to successfully prolong the fight until help could arrive the decision to surrender and save lives was the right one.
March 10th, 2015  
tetvet

Wasn't sarcasm , facts speak for themselves .