APC wheeled armor cars

--

May 16th, 2009  
tommy_gunn

Topic: APC wheeled armor cars

Who makes the Best APC that is land mine protected and the best wheeled armor cars, Will wheeled armor cars be replacing tanks????
May 17th, 2009  
LeEnfield

A tank and a APC are two different things, and many APC have tracks rather than wheels.
May 17th, 2009  
Lunatik

APCs will never replace MBTs as they have completely different designs and therefore mission definitions.

APC: Armored Personnel Carrier
MBT: Main Battle Tank

Most APCs aren't built to withstand anything over 12mm, whereas a good tank will easily take an RPG anywhere on its armor or even a 120mm tank round at certain places and still keep moving.

As far as APCs go, my pick is the PARS 8x8. Safely transports a chit load of soldiers in full battle gear and then some. It can be specially modified with various weapons or sensors to suit changing mission requirements. And it looks like it's from the future...

--
May 18th, 2009  
A Can of Man

The bow of that vehicle looks extremely vulnerable though. Check out the angle and not to mention it's the favored place to shoot against incoming armored threats.
May 18th, 2009  
Lunatik

Yeah but "coolness" is a weapon in itself 13th.

The day they roll out an APC that can take a 120mm projectile from a tank and keep moving, let me know.

Something lighter from Turkey...

Meet Otokar COBRA. This is a Slovenian amphibic variant.
May 18th, 2009  
A Can of Man

Well it doesn't have to stop a 120mm but still it's got to have the best protection possible.
It appears the Otokar Cobra is of an NBC Recon vehicle variant. it's got a sample scooper and a marker dispensing system. Actually I think it's got a sniffer too.
Great stuff. Looks like it can be controlled from the inside with full automation outside. A solid platform I think!
July 19th, 2010  
PzBrig15

Topic: New Equipment

The German Industries presented by a " presentation day" in the Urban Exercises Area " Bonnland" a lot of new Vehicles :

A Dingo 2 Recovery Vehicle :

The new Wiesel 2 Mortar-Systems :
The German -Army ( Bundeswehr) had orderd a lot of these Vehicles.

and a new Armoured Personally Vehicle. The name AMPV
Manufactory by Rheinmetall and KMWEG , the first Manufactory for German Military Equiment.

May 16th, 2015  
AnthonyCole

i think you are looking for these cars they offer best armored cars amd yes these cars can replace tanks. Mind=blown
November 5th, 2015  
KevinTheCynic

Armoured Cars can be great combat vehicles in their own right but using them to replace tanks is asking for a lot of dead armoured car crews.
As Lunatik said earlier in the thread "The day they roll out an APC that can take a 120mm projectile from a tank and keep moving, let me know."

Using an armoured car to replace a tank is like using a spoon to replace a knife, yeah it can do the job but not particularly well and don't expect it to excel in the task - just like a spoon and a knife are designed for two different tasks, armoured cars and tanks are designed for different tasks and using one to replace the other might work but you'll never get the results you actually need and of course, you'll end up getting a lot of armoured car crews killed for no good reason.
November 5th, 2015  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheCynic
Armoured Cars can be great combat vehicles in their own right but using them to replace tanks is asking for a lot of dead armoured car crews.
As Lunatik said earlier in the thread "The day they roll out an APC that can take a 120mm projectile from a tank and keep moving, let me know."

Using an armoured car to replace a tank is like using a spoon to replace a knife, yeah it can do the job but not particularly well and don't expect it to excel in the task - just like a spoon and a knife are designed for two different tasks, armoured cars and tanks are designed for different tasks and using one to replace the other might work but you'll never get the results you actually need and of course, you'll end up getting a lot of armoured car crews killed for no good reason.
Let me start of by saying I was never a tanker, I've never been inside one, nor do I want to.

South Africa still run their Olifant MBT which were originally based on an upgraded conversion of the British Centurion tanks.

However, the South African G6 which is basically a 6x6 wheeled 155mm artillery piece which saw a lot of service during the Angolan civil war, which was a lot faster to deploy.