APC wheeled armor cars - Page 2

--

November 5th, 2015  
KevinTheCynic

Hi Brit.
Yeah the G6 is a nice bit of kit but you're not playing by the rules!
The G6 is artillery so it sports a 155mm piece and that's gonna smack the crap outta just about any other vehicle in the world!

However, it's armour is designed to protect the crew from heavy machinegun fire and shell fragments - it won't survive a round from a tank.

A closer analogy would be the Rooikat which as I understand it was designed with anti-armour tasks as a secondary role to its primary recce role. Even though it's better armoured than the G6, it's still not able to stand up to the main gun of an MBT (from memory it's armoured against 23mm AP rounds).
The Rooikat can quite happily deal with most of the tanks in southern Africa because it's typically facing T-54, T-55 and T-62 MBTs and has superior fire control, stabilization and observation devices compared to them.
It's not going to be so happy against a 1980s-90s era Russian MBT though let alone any modern Western MBTs.
November 8th, 2015  
Remington 1858

I have been a tanker and I believe that wheeled armored vehicles will not completely replace tanks anytime soon. Here's why: Once the weight of a vehicle exceeds about twenty long tons wheels no longer provide sufficient flotation to keep the machine from becoming bogged down in mud, sand or snow. In that case the vehicles power is being used to deform the surface on which it's running rather than providing motive power.
There have been big improvements in vehicle technology in recent years that have mitigated some of those problems, but with an upper limit of twenty tons, there is only so much armor and armament that a wheeled vehicle can carry.
Can this be overcome? Maybe, if you use some other material than steel for armor, Or if you can replace the gun with a light weight weapon like a magazine - fed missile launcher.
Wheeled vehicles have their place. Especially since most nations now have something that could be called a road net that permits rapid deployment. But, get off the road, have some rain or snow and it's a different story.
November 10th, 2015  
I3BrigPvSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington 1858
I have been a tanker and I believe that wheeled armored vehicles will not completely replace tanks anytime soon. Here's why: Once the weight of a vehicle exceeds about twenty long tons wheels no longer provide sufficient flotation to keep the machine from becoming bogged down in mud, sand or snow. In that case the vehicles power is being used to deform the surface on which it's running rather than providing motive power.
There have been big improvements in vehicle technology in recent years that have mitigated some of those problems, but with an upper limit of twenty tons, there is only so much armor and armament that a wheeled vehicle can carry.
Can this be overcome? Maybe, if you use some other material than steel for armor, Or if you can replace the gun with a light weight weapon like a magazine - fed missile launcher.
Wheeled vehicles have their place. Especially since most nations now have something that could be called a road net that permits rapid deployment. But, get off the road, have some rain or snow and it's a different story.
Didn't the US military constructed a MBT made of kevlar or something similar? It can be ten or fifteen years ago if my memory serves me correctly
--
November 11th, 2015  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
Didn't the US military constructed a MBT made of kevlar or something similar? It can be ten or fifteen years ago if my memory serves me correctly
The M1A1 and M1A2's have a Kevlar liner, as I believe does the French Leclerc.
November 11th, 2015  
KevinTheCynic

Like Monty mentioned, a number of armoured vehicles incorporate ballistic cloth such as Kevlar in their anti-spall linings (to protect the crew and equipment from fragments that can get knocked off the inside of the hull when the vehicle is hit by enemy weapons).

As for making a vehicle out of Kevlar, well, I'm not saying it hasn't been done because I really don't know but I believe it has not been done because it would be impractical to create a combat vehicle protected only by Kevlar.
Kevlar is good for stopping small fragments and other similar sized projectiles but it's not going to stop the high-density penetrators or the shaped-charge effects commonly used in tank rounds.

Ballistic cloth is designed to stretch and/or entangle an incoming projectile to rob it of its energy and therefore reduce its ability to cause damage or injury. To achieve that result against the high-speed anti-armour penetrators currently in use in tank ammo, you'd need an impractically thick mat of Kevlar.