anyone going to watch "over there"? - Page 2

--
Boots

July 28th, 2005  
C/2nd Lt Robot

I saw it and it is sure to be a hit.
July 28th, 2005  
PROUDsisOFaUSmarine

wow i thought it was good. but with my brother being "over there" it wasnt so good for the emotions!
July 28th, 2005  
FutureDevilDog

I must say, that show was terrible. Though I did like how the first scene went (doing it), maybe I missed the part where they explained why the girls were in combat? Well anyway, to sum it up I didnt care for it.
--
Boots
July 28th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureDevilDog
I must say, that show was terrible. Though I did like how the first scene went (doing it), maybe I missed the part where they explained why the girls were in combat? Well anyway, to sum it up I didnt care for it.
At least one of the girls was a driver, I assume the other one was with her.

I think it'll get better fleshed out in the next episodes. The first episode is always so difficult to make because you've got to make it fabulously interesting to keep the audiance, but you have to introduce all the characters too since the audiance doesn't know anything about anyone. I think they did a good job but obviously we can't tell till' a few episodes whether or not it'll be good.
July 28th, 2005  
03USMC

I watched it because the Wife recorded it, thinking I'd want to see it. Heh.

I didn't like it. Won't watch it again. I also viewed it with a recently returned OIF vet. His reaction was the same to a large extent but with a little more emotion , understandably.

It seems to me to could take the cast of any of the hundreds of WWII movies leave out the rah rah for the flag and apple pie and the same cast comprises this "squad".

Lets see.

The Gruff and Combat vet Sgt.

The hard charging HS Athlete with dreams of playing College Ball (who gets wounded in the leg, never saw that coming)

The college educated intellectual musing about the meaning of war.

The Choir Boy.

The Street tough.

Throw in the two females. A driver and mechanic because this is the New Army. Cast one in an almost bad light on two occasions.

Give everybody nicknames.

IMHO the writers rehashed the old cliches put them in Iraq and thats about it. Not the cutting edge they claimed. More like Combat meets the Insurgents.
July 28th, 2005  
RnderSafe

What a horrible and painful waste of an hour.
July 28th, 2005  
82ndMechanic

I agree.. terrible show. I figured that out in the first five minutes... a squad of privates all assigned to a new squad leader. Walking up to the building like its no big deal.

The nicknames, the females, the typical stereotype... this one lasted 20 minutes for me.

Glad to see it didn't get better as it went along...
July 28th, 2005  
03USMC

Yeah Bochco needs to stick to Screwin up Cop shows.
July 29th, 2005  
Duty Honor Country

Out of the 7 guys I work with on the night shift, 5 of them said they wached Over There. Everyone of them said they changed the channel after the first 5-10 minutes citing the fact that the show was not even close to how things are really like "over there." The E-6 said the only thing that was accurate was a video sent to a soldier from his wife showinf her with another man.

Just wanted to share some food for thought on the show.

SGT Doody
July 29th, 2005  
Charge 7

Thanks, guys. My time is short enough without wasting it on that claptrap.