Anyone ever heard of.......

--
Boots

March 8th, 2004  
XARMYSGT

Topic: Anyone ever heard of.......

Has anyone ever heard of Audie Murphy? What are your thoughts about him?
March 8th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

Good guy, great warrior.
March 8th, 2004  
Redneck

Heck yeah! He was one hell of a guy. Kind of neat how he became a movie star after the war and starred in a movie about his own exploits. Wasn't he the most decorated U.S. soldier in the second World War?
--
Boots
March 8th, 2004  
GuyontheRight

Yep, and he shoulda been even more decorated
March 8th, 2004  
Redneck

Also it's kind of funny that the Army wanted to reject him at first on the grounds that he wasn't healthy enough to serve.
March 9th, 2004  
Popeye

Hahaha, yea good story - and sweet soldier.
March 9th, 2004  
FutureRANGER

Was he the one the movie To Hell and Back was based after? I don't really know much about him except that I've seen the movie.
March 9th, 2004  
Redneck

Yes, and the actor who played him was him.
That's the movie I was talking about, he played himself in it, and it told the true story of his exploits in WWII.
March 9th, 2004  
FutureRANGER

Quote:
Kind of neat how he became a movie star after the war and starred in a movie about his own exploits.
Missed that part
March 9th, 2004  
RnderSafe

Medal Of Honor, the Distinguished Service Cross, 2 Silver Star Medals, Legion of Merit, 2 Bronze Star Medals with "V", 2 Purple Hearts, US Army Outstanding Civilian Service Medal, Good Conduct Medal, 2 Distinguished Unit Emblems, American Campaign Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with One Silver Star, Four Bronze Service Stars (representing nine campaigns) and one Arrowhead (representing assault landing at Sicily and Sounthern France) World War II Victory Medal, Army of Occupation Medal with German Clasp, Armed Forces Reserve Medal, Combat Infantry Badge, Marksmanship Badge with Rifle Bar, Expert Badge with Bayonet Bar, French Fourragere in Colors of the Croix de Guerre, French Legion Of Honor, Grade of Chevalier, French Croix de Guerre with Silver Star, French Croix de Guerre with Palm, Medal of Liberated France, and the Belgian Croix de Guerre 1940 Palm.

I wouldn't feel worthy to speak in his presense. He was a stud and a true hero, in my book.