Any Space based Weapon Systems Out There? - Page 2

--

August 12th, 2005  
Rabs

I recently read in popular science about a whole new age of "death star" type sattalites.
August 12th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
Nobody knows just what is out there in space on some of these satellites.
Yeah, that's the truth. The American space agency (I really don't know it's name and I think it's a part of the air force) is very very secrative about what they do. Now, obviously America has a lot of spy satelites up there, that we know. But it would seem logical that if we like satelites as much as we do, we would have the capability to destroy other people's satelites so that they can't enjoy the same bennefits satelites give you in wartime if they happen to be fighting us.

The truth is we just don't know because what actually is up there is kept as hush-hush as Area-51.

But in answer to the other part of your question, it is EXTREMELY expensive to put stuff up in space. There has been talk of putting big ground-penetrating bombs in space to smash into deep-underground bunkers with the force of a meteor impact, but it's just so damned expensive to do none of it has ever left the drawing board.
August 13th, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
Nobody knows just what is out there in space on some of these satellites.
Yeah, that's the truth. The American space agency (I really don't know it's name and I think it's a part of the air force) is very very secrative about what they do. Now, obviously America has a lot of spy satelites up there, that we know. But it would seem logical that if we like satelites as much as we do, we would have the capability to destroy other people's satelites so that they can't enjoy the same bennefits satellites give you in wartime if they happen to be fighting us.

The truth is we just don't know because what actually is up there is kept as hush-hush as Area-51.

But in answer to the other part of your question, it is EXTREMELY expensive to put stuff up in space. There has been talk of putting big ground-penetrating bombs in space to smash into deep-underground bunkers with the force of a meteor impact, but it's just so damned expensive to do none of it has ever left the drawing board.

AFSPC (Air Force Space Command) works directly with NASA to send up satellites and the such, they do a bunch of the hush-hush stuff like the Titan program.

AFSPC command website.
http://www.peterson.af.mil/hqafspc/Default2.asp

I just founs this, seems quite interesting: http://www.af.mil/factsheets/
--