Animals in War Did you know.........? - Page 2

--

February 18th, 2005  
Whispering Death

I think it would be rather difficult to use dolphins to get rid of LANDmines
February 18th, 2005  
Zucchini

Yeah, will what problems with it do you for sea?
February 18th, 2005  
Redleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
That's no problem..
They drive around in special made Tanks, aka. Fish-Tanks..

I just googled for "animals in war" and found this one:
http://www.bluecross.org.uk/Web/Site...AnimalsWar.asp
http://www.animalsinwar.org/main.html

Nice one.
--
February 18th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
That's no problem..
They drive around in special made Tanks, aka. Fish-Tanks..

I just googled for "animals in war" and found this one:
http://www.bluecross.org.uk/Web/Site...AnimalsWar.asp
http://www.animalsinwar.org/main.html

Nice one.
*cough* dolphins aren't fish *cough*

sorry! couldn't resist!
February 18th, 2005  
DTop

Quote:
Marine and Army scout dogs led patrols through jungles, rice paddies and piedmont hills.
Charge, thanks for mentioning that. I owe my life to a Doberman named Thor. He and his handler were attached to my infantry scout platoon in Vietnam. Although I was the point man for the platoon, I would always defer to Thor when it came to his talents at detecting explosives and the enemy. All that dog would do was to stop and growl at a level that only his handler could hear at first (I learned to hear it too ) and 100% of the time there was either a booby trap or an ambush on the trail ahead. The entire time Thor was with us (about 8 months) we never suffered a fatality among the men even though we had countless encounters with the enemy. Unfortunately Thor gave up his life on his last patrol. I don't recall seeing a dry eye in that battle hardened platoon that day.
February 18th, 2005  
Charge 7

Thanks, Top for sharing your experiences with me. My eyes aren't dry either at the moment. Thor certainly did his duty. I will add his account to my list for the memorial.

If it weren't for war dogs I wouldn't be here. My father also was saved time and again by a Doberman on patrol with him and his fellow Marines in the Pacific. It was that fact that led him to have a German Shepard when he came home and started a family. He couldn't find a Doberman where he lived.

Although no war dog has ever saved me, I have had my life saved by German Shepards in my family three times now and I will have no other dog although Dobermans are certainly every bit as good. When I was a baby the radiator in my bedroom burst (repairman had just worked on it) and live steam was hitting my basinet. Our Shepard, Rex, pulled the basinet out of the way and then alerted my mother.

The second time is so incredible I won't list it here for fear it would be thought made up. I'm still astounded by it more than 30 years later.

And the last time I was saved I was in my 30s and awoke to find myself being dragged out of bed by my t-shirt and a room full of smoke. Our family Shepard, Willie, was dragging me across the floor. I got up and grabbed my wife and children as the house came down around us. It was an old Vermont house and the electrical work had caught fire. That dog saved not me alone but all of us.
February 18th, 2005  
Zucchini

War Dog Platoon on Iwo Jima.

There were about 65 men in the Platoon. No history I can find says how many dogs.
July 30th, 2005  
LeEnfield

What about the pigeons that carried all those messages, there were mules, and horses, dogs, and Camels. Much of the German transport was horse drawn. There were Canaries down the mines and for checking air all over the place. in fact there were a large number of animals trained to do a whole lot of different tasks
July 30th, 2005  
Charge 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEnfield
What about the pigeons that carried all those messages
If you look near the start of this thread on page 1, you'll see a nice story I related about "Cher Ami". A pigeon so valorous he was decorated for it.
August 1st, 2005  
LeEnfield

I stand corrected.....