American troops with the Soviet equipment

boris116

I have a question:

Does anybody know about such units in the American Armed Forces?

According to the Soviet Foreigh Military Review, such units have been equipped with Soviet T-62 tanks and other equipment, used Soviet uniforms, etc.
Is this true? If it is, what has happened to this units?

As far as I know, the American units employed as "enemy" during the training have their usual equipment, they just use the "foreign" tactics...

And there are some German pilots who come to visit the US with their MIG-29 for the same purpose...

I doubt American units were ever equipped with Soviet equipment. Yes, Soviet technology was captured and studied, but I doubt it was ever captured in enough numbers to fully equip a fighting force.

As you mentioned, "Opposing Force" training units do not use actual Soviet equipment, only Soviet tactics. They use American equipment modified to look Soviet. They could have worn reproductions of Soviet uniforms, but that's probably the extent of it.

The reason for not using Soviet equipment is simple. It would be extremely difficult to maintain. There were no supplies of spare parts, and any knowledge of how to operate and maintain the equipment usually had to be reverse engineered.

I would assume there was also a level of secrecy to the fact that Soviet equipment had been captured and reverse engineered; you don't exactly want your enemy to know that you know exactly how well his tanks perform!

Yes, the US has a bunch soviet tanks, small arms and fighters to simulate training.

Most of these were not captured first hand but bought from people who did capture them such as the Isrealis and Afghans and later from countries who were chummy with the Soviets during the cold war.

I doubt American units were ever equipped with Soviet equipment. Yes, Soviet technology was captured and studied, but I doubt it was ever captured in enough numbers to fully equip a fighting force.

As you mentioned, "Opposing Force" training units do not use actual Soviet equipment, only Soviet tactics. They use American equipment modified to look Soviet. They could have worn reproductions of Soviet uniforms, but that's probably the extent of it.

The reason for not using Soviet equipment is simple. It would be extremely difficult to maintain. There were no supplies of spare parts, and any knowledge of how to operate and maintain the equipment usually had to be reverse engineered.

I would assume there was also a level of secrecy to the fact that Soviet equipment had been captured and reverse engineered; you don't exactly want your enemy to know that you know exactly how well his tanks perform!

Actually Annistion Army Depot produces BMP-1 and BMP-2's, T-64's and BRDM's.

I know a while back, they had some at the National Training Center, but not sure if they still do or not.

I am just interested to know whether they ever had!

Not just samples of the soviet equipment, but the troops, using this equipment and "playing" the soviets.

The Russian military magazine has stated just that.

Back