Alligators Vs. Crocs

If you haven't been keeping up with the "Gun Control" Thread...Ted, PJ, and I have been "arguing" about the differences between alligators and crocodiles of different regions. So here goes....

I think people have to adjust to the topic. It is a bit off and not easily discussed. But Henderson and I are looking for some nice crocs to have a rodeo on. So if anybody has a croc available and by accident also a plane ticket..... then it will be something to remember. We could even post some pictures Henderson, how about that?

Hahaha, sounds good. Ill grab the camera, and the first aid kit. You will be pleased to be know that I am trained in first aid. So when the rodayo thang backfires, Ill be standing by.

Seriously- before you think you can do something stupid with a croc or alligator, come to LA. Just last week a friend of mine broke a perfectly good canoe paddle when he hit a gator with one. Then my brother realized the :cen had broken another paddle that had belonged to him.

When you're in the water, and you hear "Gator!", you start making tracks for the gunnel of the boat- at least, that's what I do, because I value my body parts.

C/1Lt Henderson said:
If you haven't been keeping up with the "Gun Control" Thread...Ted, PJ, and I have been "arguing" about the differences between alligators and crocodiles of different regions. So here goes....

Hmm, that's news to me. :p

Oh, and you're going to need far more than just first aid training if you're dealing with a croc attack. ;-)

Seriously- before you think you can do something stupid with a croc or alligator, come to LA. Just last week a friend of mine broke a perfectly good canoe paddle when he hit a gator with one. Then my brother realized the :cen had broken another paddle that had belonged to him.

When you're in the water, and you hear "Gator!", you start making tracks for the gunnel of the boat- at least, that's what I do, because I value my body parts.

In general, Crocs are far more aggressive than Alligators. I've been swimming with Gators before, mostly they just swim away and when we were in New Orleans rescuing Katrina victims we encountered several of them, again, they pretty much stayed out of our way. Occasionally we would find one munching on a body because they were hungry and would have to scare it away.

Gators are pretty shy and generally don't bother to approach humans unless they've been given a reason to. IE you live in an area that's built up around their natural habitat (Florida for example) or you've fed them. Most alligator attacks against humans are accidental, out of starvation or in defense of their eggs. Despite the latest uproar in Florida (the three women attacked within a week) their attacks are pretty rare. All that said, I still wouldn't try to play with one for no reason at all, esp. if you have no experience with them.

Crocs on the other hand, well they'll come after and eat you for no reason other than you're there, esp. salties (Estuarine), which are very aggressive and they can get very big.

Pfff bunch of wussies! Let me put on me crocleather cowboy boots and ride this sucker into obidience. The crocs know when they met their master.... So I don´t see the problem...
Step 1: Grabs his jaws while they are still shut.
Step 2: Don´t ever let go!

This is to two step croc guide I am writing. Do you guys like it?

Last edited:
Beautifully written...hahaha...But how do you get to the croc/gator in the first place? dont they lunge at you in surprise? Its gotta be harder than just hold on for the ride....

All I can add to this thread -- if you ever decide to "tame" one of those things, and I hear you cry "MEDIC!", I AIN'T comin' to help. :p

C/1Lt Henderson said:
Beautifully written...hahaha...But how do you get to the croc/gator in the first place? dont they lunge at you in surprise? Its gotta be harder than just hold on for the ride....

yeah, they will lunge. reminds me, we saw 15 gators last sunday within 300 yards of each other.

Biggest gator I've ever seen was a humongulous twelve-footer. If you get close to that , do what I did when I mistook a cobia for a sand tiger shark (from overhead). Jump back in the boat and say, "SHOOT THIS ************!"

Yep, thats my reaction too...haha. One time I was fishing with my uncle, and we were in some deep woods ok? This aint no stocked pond, this was the wild fish.On the way up, there was some waist high grass around either side of the "trail." Suddenly, I hear a hissing sound...I turn tail, run back to the truck, grab the glock, fly back up to where we were, and use a hiking stick to part the grass so I could shoot the "snake." When my uncle parted the grass, there was a GOOSE! It was wounded and so it had climbed up on land...We got too close to it and it hissed...Uncle Chris then told me I jumped 4ft. up(not a fishermans exaggeration either)and turned 180 degrees in the air...He was laughing his ass off.I didnt speak to him for the rest of that day.

C/1Lt Henderson said:
Im surprised at you Lt...what happened to "never leave a man behind"?
There's a difference between never leaving someone behind vs. letting the idiots get their due. ;)

As Goose says in "Top Gun": "The Department of Defense regrets to inform you that your sons were killed because they were STUPID."

Ted, if you're going to do the croc rodeo thing, we have to come up with a better name for you. How about "Stumpy?"

I had a nifty video around here somewhere of a rodeo gone bad somewhere in Asia. The wrangler did the nifty little "tap the inside of their mouth so their jaws snap shut" trick just a bit too slow. His arm was engulfed up to the shoulder when the beastie when into its death roll. When the video ended, it looked like most of the idiot's arm was still attached. Didn't look especially comfortable, though.

Alright, time for somebody from the Land Of Croc Wrestling to get involved.

If you want to wrestle a croc come to Australia, anywhere up the top end will do. Just go swimming, especially after dark.... you'll meet them. Just a note, the salt water ones are especially agressive and foul tempered. Not unusual to see them around the 3 metre long mark. Big buggers, sharp teeth.... I don't think they have many friends.

AJChenMPH said:
All I can add to this thread -- if you ever decide to "tame" one of those things, and I hear you cry "MEDIC!", I AIN'T comin' to help. :p

Well Chen, I don't think I really like your defeatist talk. It is an attitude like this that precedes defeat! Haven't they taught you that in the academy? But reading the other posts, I am simply amazed by the amount of defeatism on this board. You'll know that Holland is a tiny country, but we ruled the world for over a century. Now you know why, bold actions, excellent skills and fear is not an option!

And on how to get to the reptile.... simple:
1) Stay downwind, because they have an acute sense of smell.
2) Be even stiller then they are floating in the water like a leaf.
3) Be more explosive then c4 when springing into action.

Follow these steps and you can domesticate crocs, alligators and caymans! Easy as pie!

Last edited:
And now Ted has just demonstrated to all those who may have doubted that in the Netherlands hashish is legal to smoke that it is indeed allowed.
:)
No fair not bringing enough for the whole class Ted, tsk tsk.

Back