AK: regular magazine vs. drum

--

May 8th, 2011  
Prapor

Topic: AK: regular magazine vs. drum

I own a Kalashnikov myself, as do quite a few of my friends, patriots that we are

Recently, on advise from a trusted man I adapted my AK to use drums instead of regular 'horn' magazines. Many here are doing that. Here is why.

Most 'horns' available here are regular size, that carry 20 shots

A more rare 'extended horn' gets you 40.

But a drum

gives you 75!

Here's my AKM

What do you guys think? Drum or horn? Any AK owners here, or anyone who's ever fired one? Or other guns too. I've seen a M-16 with a drum not too long ago...
May 8th, 2011  
senojekips

I only have a little experience with the Thompson SMG in this respect, and only in peacetime.

I thought that the drums were great when impressing friends with full auto fire demonstrations, but in every other situation Ifound that I preferred the 30 round "Stick" magazines. It drums were noticeably heavier, slow to load and made the weapon clumsy to handle. The clumsiness was probably the deciding factor for me.
May 8th, 2011  
Prapor

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
I only have a little experience with the Thompson SMG in this respect, and only in peacetime.

I thought that the drums were great when impressing friends with full auto fire demonstrations, but in every other situation Ifound that I preferred the 30 round "Stick" magazines. It drums were noticeably heavier, slow to load and made the weapon clumsy to handle. The clumsiness was probably the deciding factor for me.
Well, true, when you need to reload fast, the drum can be heavy and a overall pain in the arse. And, also, I found that it causes the gun to shake too much, which means far less accuracy.

But I still like it for the sheer firepower it generates. You essentially convert a semi-auto assault rifle into a full machine gun.

That is why PPSh is also still quite popular here
--
May 9th, 2011  
senojekips

The PPSh is a truly classic weapon of it's type, cheap, easily made, and very effective. I know they did take a stick magazine, but have only seen them in a few books. One of the worlds most easily recognised weapons.
May 9th, 2011  
Prapor

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
The PPSh is a truly classic weapon of it's type, cheap, easily made, and very effective. I know they did take a stick magazine, but have only seen them in a few books. One of the worlds most easily recognised weapons.

Like that? Yeah there are a few.

Actually, people here these days often make 'cut off' portable weapons out of the PPSh

lol Like an UZI, but bigger caliber...

We Cossacks often cut off the shoulder end and put a big silncer/flame suppressor on the barrel

Yes, we love that gun... The whole country does, even after almost 70 years.
May 9th, 2011  
A Can of Man

Where do you guys buy these things?
Do you export?
May 9th, 2011  
Prapor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Can of Man
Where do you guys buy these things?
Do you export?
There's these guys who call themselves 'Chernye Kopateli', 'Black Diggers', because that is what they do, dig up old weapons. They know where all the worst battlefields of the Great Patriotic War/WWII are located. They find PPShs, German Shmeisers, all sorts of pistols, get them all in working order, and sell them. They are not just in Russia, there are 'Black Digger' groups in Ukraine and Belarus too.

http://kp.by/online/news/201152

You'd be amazed what some of these boys have for sale...

P.S. Happy Victory Day, all.
May 9th, 2011  
A Can of Man

Holy Schizz!!!!!
That is insane.
If I come across folks who need these sort of things I'll hit you up!
May 10th, 2011  
muscogeemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prapor
I own a Kalashnikov myself, as do quite a few of my friends, patriots that we are

Recently, on advise from a trusted man I adapted my AK to use drums instead of regular 'horn' magazines. Many here are doing that. Here is why.

Most 'horns' available here are regular size, that carry 20 shots

A more rare 'extended horn' gets you 40.

But a drum

gives you 75!

Here's my AKM

What do you guys think? Drum or horn? Any AK owners here, or anyone who's ever fired one? Or other guns too. I've seen a M-16 with a drum not too long ago...
My understanding is that the main reason the 7.62 mini gun isnít used much in ground ops is the weight of the ammo required to feed it.
I think weight may be a factor in using this drum mag in a tactical situation, also there is the time required to re-load the drum and maybe its size might be a problem.
May 10th, 2011  
A Can of Man

but 75 rounds means less reloading!! WOOOOOO!!!!