AK: regular magazine vs. drum - Page 3




 
--
 
August 9th, 2011  
5.56X45mm
 
 
I have a drum mag for my AK-47 and my .22LR Sig Sauer 522. They both are fun at the range and work very well. The AK drum mag is a copy of the Chinese RPK drum mag which is very rugged and reliable. The one for the Sig is made of plastic and is simply a range toy.

Drum mags still serve a purpose. Mine serves as a nice travel piece. When I go place I take the AK with the drum mag and a couple of spare 40rd stick mags. With the drum in place I have 75rds on tap.

They aren't intended to be general issue mags. They're designed for squad automatic weapons. The USSR/PRC version of that was the RPK and it replaced the RPD which was a belt fed weapon. The Soviets went from a belt fed to a mag fed weapon for a reason. One reason was the ability to share magazines. The Russians designed their own drum mag and the Chinese did so also. Both work very well and serve their purpose.
August 9th, 2011  
Yossarian
 
 
I was speaking primarly about the use of a drum magazine in conjuction with a service rifle.

I figured that a drum or large can type magazine on a sqaud support weapon works well, why? The magazine is on a different weapon platform that fills a different purpose.

I can't really swing with you here, being as you are the one with the experiance, and the know how.

So I will defer to your better judgement.

Besides I was not very clear on what I was talking about in that last post anyway.
August 9th, 2011  
KJ
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RFK
Outperformed what and how?

OK, they outperformed the cyclic rate of a Moisin Nagant rifle, they had a slightly longer range than the 9mm. used in Suomi KP31, and they generally didn't jam up due to generous dimentions in the mechanism.

But personally I'd choose the Suomi KP31 over the PPSh anyway.

Might add that I have no experience what so ever with the Suom drum-magazine, only the "coffin-type" wich worked well for me.
For exactly the reasons you mentioned, rare jam,s, longer rage, more rapid fire I think.
And one more reason...Ammunition were easier to come by on long patrols behind the lines.


KJ sends.
--
August 11th, 2011  
headwards
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56X45mm
I have a drum mag for my AK-47 and my .22LR Sig Sauer 522. They both are fun at the range and work very well. The AK drum mag is a copy of the Chinese RPK drum mag which is very rugged and reliable. The one for the Sig is made of plastic and is simply a range toy.

Drum mags still serve a purpose. Mine serves as a nice travel piece. When I go place I take the AK with the drum mag and a couple of spare 40rd stick mags. With the drum in place I have 75rds on tap.
Whereabouts do you go that you need that kind of firepower??
August 12th, 2011  
Yossarian
 
 
Hollywood

(seriously kidding)

If nothing else it would be fun to have one for some serious plinking, or at least as a conversation piece to complment your coasters on your coffee table to say the least.
August 12th, 2011  
5.56X45mm
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwards
Whereabouts do you go that you need that kind of firepower??
Have you seen the news about the riots in the UK? Those events are not rare in the USA. Miami, FL had theirs back in the 1980s. Saint Peterburgs, FL had theirs in the late 1990s. Etc....

I live in a very nice area that is surrounded by scum and villainy. I'm also a cop.... there have been some targeting of law enforcement off duty. I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. If a riot breaks out my first act is to get the f#@k out of dodge. If not then try to get to the safest place, if thats not possible then I will defend myself.
August 12th, 2011  
headwards
 
Well I feel for everyone else in the vicinity if you let fly with that, ak rounds take a bit of stopping.
August 12th, 2011  
Yossarian
 
 
Trigger discipline and professionalism.
August 13th, 2011  
KJ
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian
Trigger discipline and professionalism.
Huh? If you have trigger discipline and professionalism coupled with accuracy the 75 round drum would be unimportant to start with.

Thought experiment?
If you use a 30 rd mag doubletapping plus a killshot you have taken down 10 threats.
Takes you less then a second to reload before taking down 10 more.

If you are alone against MORE then 20 targets you do not need a drum mag, you need fast ****in legs for running away.

KJ sends..
August 13th, 2011  
Yossarian
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ
Huh? If you have trigger discipline and professionalism coupled with accuracy the 75 round drum would be unimportant to start with.

Thought experiment?
If you use a 30 rd mag doubletapping plus a killshot you have taken down 10 threats.
Takes you less then a second to reload before taking down 10 more.

If you are alone against MORE then 20 targets you do not need a drum mag, you need fast ****in legs for running away.

KJ sends..
Back on topic, which would you think is better?

Idk all logic aside, a drum maginzine apart from aparent weight (on an service rifle like the AKM/47) would be nice in the fact you naturally have more ammunition on tap, as mentioned in this very thread already.

But you never know, people who have a lot of experiance with a drum mag, may be comfortable with selecting targets and employing their availible ammunition like any other magazine type.
 


Similar Topics
Springfield Sniper Rifle vs. K98 Sniper Rifle
Al-Qaida launches English propaganda magazine (AP)
Difference between light and regular infantry?
General Tommy Franks in Parade Magazine
Artillerymen Magazine from Fort Sill - Where Else?