Air Force/ Army

--

August 6th, 2004  
cPFC/SAJROTC

Topic: Air Force/ Army

I'm a 15 year old JROTC Cadet and I know that I want to join the US military after college, but I am having difficulty selecting the branch and area I want to go into. I was wondering if anyone could provide their advice on whether the US Army, or the Air Force was supperior (I know its a topic of debate in someplaces) and also, what area you would specialize in yourself.
August 6th, 2004  
Airborne Eagle

I was in both.

If you want to live a fairly normal life, go Air Force.
August 6th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

The one area the Army is definitely better than the Air Force is promotions. I could have never made E-5 in the Air Force in 2 yrs 8 months.

I believe in the Air Force, you must test against everyone else in your job field to get promoted. Only a set percentage will make the grade.

In the Army, E-1 thru E-4 are almost automatic unless you are a dirt bag. You can also get promoted faster with a waiver if you are a good soldier. Promotions for E-5 and E-6 are based on points. The cut off score changes monthly due to the needs of the army. Normally combat arms MOS's have low cut off scores while support jobs can have extremely high cut off scores. Anything above E-6 is decided by the DA.

I know that the Army will give you some kind of promotion for being in HS JROTC.
--
August 6th, 2004  
cPFC/SAJROTC

I know that all branches award an automatic promotion to E-2 if you serve 4 years of JROTC in High School which is definely a nice bonus for joining.

Another question I had was about Basic Training and the more physical demands of the branches. Does anyone know the requirements for Basic? (eg, 2 Pullups, 25 pushups etc)
August 6th, 2004  
Airborne Eagle

From what I heard, they won't drop you for puchups in the Air Force basic.

They give you something like demerits.
August 6th, 2004  
cPFC/SAJROTC

Wow, the Air Force is starting to look more like my kind of branch!

Now, between the two, what areas did you serve under, Infantry, Engineering?
August 6th, 2004  
Airborne Eagle

I was an intelligence analyst for both.
August 6th, 2004  
RnderSafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cPFC/SAJROTC
I know that all branches award an automatic promotion to E-2 if you serve 4 years of JROTC in High School which is definely a nice bonus for joining.

Another question I had was about Basic Training and the more physical demands of the branches. Does anyone know the requirements for Basic? (eg, 2 Pullups, 25 pushups etc)
Four years of JROTC will get you E-3, except in the Marine Corps (E-2).

It would not be wise to choose a branch based on how easy it may be physically. My .02.
August 6th, 2004  
cPFC/SAJROTC

Oh, I wasnt basing it on my physical ability too much, was meant to be a joke.

Thanks for correcting that, yes E-3 (PFC), I accidentally was using JROTC ranks in which you start as an insignia Pvt, rather than a no insignia Pvt.

For R&D of weapons, which branch would you suggest I enter?

I know the Air Force is the more technilogically advanced, but I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Army's R&D department.
August 30th, 2004  
Joe2

Undoubtly the Air Force takes care of their people better than the Army. Both services have their ups and downs about them. It realy depends what you want to do. Physically the Army is much tougher than the Air Force (but we have changed are requirements and they are stricter), but the AF is alot more technological and you must be smarter than the average "joe". I am active duty AF (18 yrs) so naturally I say AF, but its NOT for everyone. Know what you want to do first and than decide.