Active then Reserves

Lamm

I have two routes I have been thinking about taking to become an Officer of Marines.
1. After High School-join the Marine Corps Reserves, go to college, and PLC or OCS.
2. After High School- join the Active Marine Corps, after 2-3 years, go reserves, then to college, then PLC or OCS.
I know I can do MECEP, but the selection rate is about 50%. Why not go NROTC or straight to college then OCS? I want to experince the enlisted side of the Corps first.
If I go into PLC while a Reservist, do I have to enter ECP or another of the like? And, if I decide to apply for OCS when I'm done with college, do I enter ECP, just like as if I was Active with a four-year degree?
I also know that I can go to school while Active, but the MOS I want prohibits me from doing so. I want 0311 while enlisted, and 0302 while an officer. I have heard from many veterans and active military personnel, that it is extremely hard for Infantrymen to go to school while active.
Thanks for any and all help.
Lamm

You are in a big "what if" area. Most of your questions should be directed to an OSO.

That being said. If you are serving an enlisted contract on active duty. You won't be able to transfer to the reserves after 2 or 3 years. You will serve the balance of your active duty contract.

Ok so aftter my first enlistment is up, I can go Reserves, then college, and PLC or OCS?
I've heard that getting back to active is slim, but not if I'm in PLC or would be applying for OCS, right?
I haven't called an OSO yet because I'm a Jr. and I'm not their first priority, so I don't want to bug them.
Thanks,
Lamm

Roger, thank you sir. Is it hard to do, go reserves from active?
When I typed "I've heard that getting back to active is slim, but not if I'm in PLC or would be applying for OCS, right?"...that's correct right? It wouldn't matter ( for me ) if the chances are slim, I wouldn't be going enlisted, I would be in PLC or applying for OCS.
Thanks,
Lamm

So I was correct in saying that I can go active, then reserves/college/PLC or OCS, right? As long as I get accepted into all of these.
Thanks,
Lamm

As far as doing PLC and missing AT, I've heard its ok, you can get that cleared up. But, I haven't heard that from the horses mouth. I haven't talked to a recruiter about that. I wouldn't want to do that, miss AT training, it'd leave me out of the loop wouldn't it?
If I just did OCS, I would apply for it during my Sr. yea in college, correct? Is the process the same as if I was a civilian in college?
Thanks,
Lamm

The OCS application process is something that you would defiantly need to go thru an OSO for.

Back