The Ace of Aces

--

September 30th, 2014  
pampa14

Topic: The Ace of Aces

I share with you this article with an extensive report and photos about the greatest ace of WW2, the German pilot Erich Hartmann:

http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.com...-dos-ases.html

Hope you enjoy and I count on your visit!
September 30th, 2014  
Kesse81

Would have been nice if it was in english.
I personally think that Hans-Joachim Marseille is a greater ace.
September 30th, 2014  
JOC

Pampa14 post are always in another language. I asked this of him some time back.

The Germans had so many aces due to the fact you almost had to be one to survive since they spent so much time in the air. Erich Hartman did have > 300 kills. I believe the greatest # for any German pilot.

As with aces I think it gets subjective. Like between the tank aces Michael Wittman and Otto Carius. Carius had more enemy kills, but Wittman is usually given more credit?
--
September 30th, 2014  
Remington 1858

In the early days of the German campaign in Russia, the German Air Force was up against Soviet pilots who were inferior in training and skill and who were flying aircraft that for the most part, technically inferior to German planes. This was true of the Western Allies too, but to a lesser extent. It astounding to consider that the Luftwaffe didn't even officially exist until 1936 and was engaged in full - scale air warfare three years later! Pilots like Hartmann learned to fly in gliders that gave them excellent stick - and -rudder skills. German pilots flew for the entire war, from day one to the end, unless killed or wounded. The stress must have been staggering. IMHO, the Luftwaffe was the greatest tactical air force of all time. That was both it's strength and weakness.
September 30th, 2014  
lljadw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampa14
I share with you this article with an extensive report and photos about the greatest ace of WW2, the German pilot Erich Hartmann:

http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.com...-dos-ases.html

Hope you enjoy and I count on your visit!
Better would be :the greatest ace of the fighter pilots
September 30th, 2014  
JOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington 1858
In the early days of the German campaign in Russia, the German Air Force was up against Soviet pilots who were inferior in training and skill and who were flying aircraft that for the most part, technically inferior to German planes. This was true of the Western Allies too, but to a lesser extent. It astounding to consider that the Luftwaffe didn't even officially exist until 1936 and was engaged in full - scale air warfare three years later! Pilots like Hartmann learned to fly in gliders that gave them excellent stick - and -rudder skills. German pilots flew for the entire war, from day one to the end, unless killed or wounded. The stress must have been staggering. IMHO, the Luftwaffe was the greatest tactical air force of all time. That was both it's strength and weakness.
I agree with this post, but don't forget the thousands of allied bombers shot down as well. Until the P-51 was introduced these guys made mincemeat of our poor guys.
September 30th, 2014  
The Highway Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesse81
He has his own Wiki page (in English).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_Hartmann
September 30th, 2014  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesse81
If you use Firefox just use the translation option, the page always shows up in English for me.
Occasionally I get a popup at the top of the screen asking if I want to translate from Portuguese to English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington 1858
You can not really hold German kills of the early war period against Hartmann's career though as he never reached the front lines until late 1942 by then the Soviet air force was much better.

Just for fun here is the aircraft he flew after the war, it is now at the Luftwaffen Museum in Berlin ...
September 30th, 2014  
JOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
If you use Firefox just use the translation option, the page always shows up in English for me.
Occasionally I get a popup at the top of the screen asking if I want to translate from Portuguese to English.

You can not really hold German kills of the early war period against Hartmann's career though as he never reached the front lines until late 1942 by then the Soviet air force was much better.

Just for fun here is the aircraft he flew after the war, it is now at the Luftwaffen Museum in Berlin ...
It does make for a nice read in English
September 30th, 2014  
Remington 1858

I believe that most of the air-to-air fighting on the Eastern Front was at low altitude. In fact, i don't think that most Soviet aircraft had oxygen equipment until they stating receiving Lend-Lease. That would mean that there was much less room for error in a dogfight, before you hit the ground. A pilot with only a slight edge in skill would prevail under those circumstances.