academy question

--

June 21st, 2010  
DerK

Topic: academy question

are you allowed to be married while at a US military academy? someone asked me this the other day and i didnt know the answer. help is appreciated!
June 21st, 2010  
03USMC

No Cadets and Midshipmen cannot be joined in matrimony
June 21st, 2010  
DerK

what about before entering or after graduation
--
June 22nd, 2010  
AZ_Infantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerK
what about before entering or after graduation

Yes, of course they can, then. Just not while in the Academy itself. Assuming you are asking about the USA Armed Forces, of course. I wouldn't have a clue as to any other country's requirements/limitations/rules.
June 22nd, 2010  
DerK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Infantry
Yes, of course they can, then. Just not while in the Academy itself. Assuming you are asking about the USA Armed Forces, of course. I wouldn't have a clue as to any other country's requirements/limitations/rules.
actually iv been doing some research and according the USNA site you must be unmarried in order to be eligible for admissions
June 22nd, 2010  
AZ_Infantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerK
actually iv been doing some research and according the USNA site you must be unmarried in order to be eligible for admissions
Really? Wow. WTF!

Preggers, of course. But just about every officer I've ever known had a solid squeeze he bought a ring for. I don't see how that would affect the Academy or, more to the point, his duty station afterward.

Doesn't the Navy still do accompanied/unaccompanied like the Army?

Interesting. Will ask my Navy friend about this...
June 22nd, 2010  
DerK

Quote:
Really? Wow. WTF!

Preggers, of course. But just about every officer I've ever known had a solid squeeze he bought a ring for. I don't see how that would affect the Academy or, more to the point, his duty station afterward.

Doesn't the Navy still do accompanied/unaccompanied like the Army?

Interesting. Will ask my Navy friend about this...
it could have something to do with the pay while at the academy because i think u get certain benefits in the military if you have a spouse so they may want to avoid marriages around the benefits. but idk a lot about it
June 24th, 2010  
AZ_Infantry

I called a civilian DOD friend of mine who works with N6S CIV in San Diego, and she asked around to all the officers. They all said that while they'd been out of the academy way too long to swear on anything, they believed that even an existing marriage is not permitted for academy admission due to the rigors of training. Or to that effect, anyway.

Of course, if we all got off our lazy butts and just called a recruiter and asked, we'd know for sure. But talking to her is way more fun...
June 24th, 2010  
DerK

Quote:
I called a civilian DOD friend of mine who works with N6S CIV in San Diego, and she asked around to all the officers. They all said that while they'd been out of the academy way too long to swear on anything, they believed that even an existing marriage is not permitted for academy admission due to the rigors of training. Or to that effect, anyway.

Of course, if we all got off our lazy butts and just called a recruiter and asked, we'd know for sure. But talking to her is way more fun...

hahahah agreed
June 25th, 2010  
03USMC

One more time:

Cadets of the USMA, Midshipmen of USCGA, USNA

CANNOT BE MARRIED PRIOR TO ADMISSION,OR DURING ENROLLMENT IN THE USMA, USNA, OR USCGA.

Was my last transmission broken or garbled. Thats how it is and has been it's in the admission standards on all their web sites. But by all means continue what ifn and grab assin. It wasn't that difficult of a question.