A10 Vs. AH64?

A farmer supposedly took down an AH-64 in Iraq this summer with a .22 rifle.

I doubt that's true, but if it is, then the A-10 would have to be the better support aircraft for its durability.

RnderSafe said:
Based on experience .. IE, having my ass saved many times by the aul flying tank .. A-10 is my soaring metal angel of death. The pilots are some of the best lads with the biggest brass ones in the world.
I couldn't agree more. The A-10 boys saved my hide more than once.

Apaches are not designed for CAS. They were designed to kill Russian Tanks in Germany, as was the Comanche until it got axed.

A10s are the best CAS asset in the US Arsenal. Armored out the ass, durable dependable and reliable. When Rndr said they are a flying tank, there was no exageration. Not only can A10s kill tanks(which they are exceptionally good at), and provide CAS, they even work against Helos. In the First Gulf War, an A10 shot down an Iraqi Attack helicopter.

They are slow enough to see and accurately bomb a target, which is why F16 are not the greatest CAS platforms, but how can anyone argue with a plane that was designed around a gun.

with its manhood ripped out that they were testing this idea with.[/quote]
No offense intended, but the A-10 cannot fly without the 30mm cannon in front for when they tried to put a 20 in for testing she was too heavy on the rear. Also, that cannon has to have the whole right engine to run her. Im sure that soldiers would like either one to come help them in a firefight dont get me wrong but you have to remember that these apaches are more vulnerable to RPG and other attacks for small arms can bring them down and then you have another mission: Rescue... But on the other hand, if you take the A-10, shes able to fly higher, has a higher survivability rate, and also she has ten pods onto which a huge array of weapons can be added. The downside? A crew-chief Nightmare lol :rambo:

Better a crew chief's nightmare to repair than a taxpayer's nightmare to replace. Helos should not be used for CAS...if there is another option, that is.

It really depends on the situation. In CAS, the A-10 is prime due to it's heavy weapons systems. If you want a 'pop-up' attack, the AH-64 is much better. I really wouldn't want to hear the beating of a rotor, turn around and see an launch ready Apache looking at me.

NCdt Steliga said:
It really depends on the situation. In CAS, the A-10 is prime due to it's heavy weapons systems. If you want a 'pop-up' attack, the AH-64 is much better. I really wouldn't want to hear the beating of a rotor, turn around and see an launch ready Apache looking at me.
The Dutch army used that image for a reqruiting poster. You could see the pilot and the gunner (and the gun) stare at you. that thing is scary! I'll see if I can find that pick....

I think that those two can hardly bee compared(plane and choper)
but i stick to A10,it certanly makes more demage quicker and more reliably :lol:

IMHO...

i hav eseen them each doing what they have been desinged to do ..kill tanks.. and in my ipinion they each have a place on the battlefield .

depends on the situation

Back