80's Bands

Hello
And so, without further ado and in no particular order, I submit my top ten list of ‘80s bands that should be inducted into the Rock ‘n Roll Hall of Fame sooner rather than later.

1) REM. Forget the Bill Berry-less train wreck that the band’s become of late, and remember when they and U2 ruled the rock world the way Darth Vader dreamed of ruling the galaxy with Luke Sky walker. Between 1987 and 1994, they were bulletproof, and there are thousands of bands and nerdy record store clerks who worshiped at their altar.
2) Madonna. If she doesn’t get inducted in the Class of 1983/2008, she will have Guy Ritchie and her children dropped off the Empire State Building. Which is really hard, because there are these tall metal bars on the rooftop deck with sharp points that curl inward. I’m guessing she uses a catapult.
3) The Smiths. Forever changed the face of modern rock, they did. Johnny’s done some good stuff with Electronic and The The, but he has to know that his best work rests within this band’s catalog, feuds with Steven Morrissey be damned.
4) New Order. Simply put, there is no electronic music scene without these guys. Kraftwerk may have gotten there first , but New Order was the band that fused a rock and roll sensibility into those machines, which in turn created a legion of knockoff bands by the late ‘80s. Even the Cure nicked half of their best licks from these guys.
5) Guns ‘n Roses. It may have ended in a haze of lawsuits and coke, but Goddamn, when Guns ‘n Roses was clicking, there wasn’t a band that could come within a thousand miles of them.

link removed

Last edited by a moderator:
That should be one for Sky, methinks?

[yt="I have seen that face before", Grace Jones]zZRTbjpFCF4[/yt]

Enjoy!

Rattler

How has a thread about 80's bands gone 18 pages and no one has mentioned Huey Lewis and the News??!!
Hip to be square
Power of Love
I want a New Durg

"Keep On Loving You" is a hard rock power ballad written by Kevin Cronin and performed by American rock band REO Speedwagon. It features the lead guitar work of Gary Richrath. It was one of many REO Speedwagon songs to become a pop hit, reaching the number-one spot for one week in March 1981 on the US Billboard Hot 100 becoming the 500th song to do so in the process, and peaking at number seven in the UK. The single was certified Platinum for US sales of over 2 million copies.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8KBC536EvI"]REO Speedwagon - Keep On Loving You [w/ lyrics] - YouTube[/ame]

i cant remeber the 80s...
but queen were around back then right?

AAGH!!!!! Queen still is a rockin' band! Still has the original drummer and guitarist. They just didn't go away after Freddie Mercury passed away! First time I saw them was at the Garden...14 y.o!!. boy did I get grounded, but well worth it! Saw them again there too. Didn't get grounded that time ...

An eighties band I didn't have the pleasure of seeing in person.

Diar Straits...."Walk of Life"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qTHn_sxrN0"]Dire Straits - Original Walk of Life Video - YouTube[/ame]

Back