75th Ranger Officer

Borm

I was hoping you guys could help me out with something. I have aspirations to become an officer in the US Army but I also want to serve in the 75th Ranger Regiment. Does anybody know how to join the 75th as an officer aka the steps you have to go through and also does anybody know how likely it is to become an officer in the 75th given you can pass all the physical requirements?

Also would a West Point grad have a better chance at joining the 75th as an officer than officers who have graduated elsewhere? Thanks for the help.

This is to the best of my knowledge and memory:

First off, no matter where you go, your commission source, i.e. West Point, ROTC, OCS will not decide if you can get to the Regiment or not - it's based on you! Your OERs (Officer Evaluation Reports) based on your performance will decide if how well you've lead is enough to get you in.

Also, I believe you must be a 1st Lieutenant before even considering a slot as a Platoon Leader (normally 2nd Lieutenants) in the Regiment.

As for joining the Regiment - You need to make it through Ranger School - and I'm not sure about ROP...

Two absolute requirements are: have been a platoon leader, and have graduated Ranger school. Platoon leaders in the 75th are 1LTs, you will not see many 2nd LTs there, and those few that are or have been, were former enlisted batt boys.

If you meet these two requirements, you can put in a request to attend ROP. Along with the request form, you will also have to have the support of your command.

How you do as a platoon leader in your initial tour will make or break your already slim chances of attending ROP. What university you attended will not matter - West Point doesn't make one a better officer those that came from ROTC, et al. Performance counts, period.

If the stars a aligned, and you're able to put in your application - you will still have to contend with other officers. The majority will be some of the best and brightest leaders the Army has to offer. Then of course you must pass ROP, and last but not least, prove yourself as a competent Ranger platoon leader. Many officers wash out of the 75th within their first two months.

The 75th can either make or break your career.

I am not trying to turn you off of this path - just give you a realistic view of how things go. Is is possible? Yes. Likely? No.

I would suggest to anyone 110% set on being a Ranger to enlist with an option 40 contract. This will at least guarantee one a chance.

Borm said:
Thanks, you guys have been very informative but what is ROP?

ROP = Ranger Orientation Program. The NCO and officer version of RIP (Ranger indoctrination program)

Hope this info helps....

(1) All officer branches and enlisted MOSs listed can attend the Pre-Ranger Course and Ranger School: 11A, 11B, 11C, 11H, 11M, 12B, 13A, 13F, 14B, 14S, 18A, 18B, 18C, 19D, 19E, and 21B.

(2) All officer branches or enlisted MOSs not listed above (non-combat arms) must have an exception to policy memorandum to attend Ranger School signed by the Commanding General, United States Army Infantry Center and School, Fort Benning, Georgia. This memorandum is also required to attend the Pre-Ranger Course. This will prevent any delays in sending the Soldier to Ranger school after graduating from the Pre-Ranger course. Examples of this memorandum and packet can be obtained from Mrs. Jeannie O’Dell, Division G3 Schools, (270)-798-2014.

Back