5.56 round inhumane? - Page 4

--

May 20th, 2004  
Eric

It's the same thing with explosions the energy and pressue wave rarely kills people

Cheap AP mines mainly use the blast effect and they don't need any shrapnel to make the wound look really NASTY!
May 20th, 2004  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnderSafe
Quote:
It's the same thing with explosions the energy and pressue wave rarely kills people
lol Blast lung is the most common fatal injury among initial survivors. Secondary injuries are very common, and do often kill .. however, primary and tertiary (result of the blast wind) kill quite often as well.
Hmm, I read that shrapnel is the main killer but I realize the pressure wave does a number of your lungs, but this is from a big explosion, not a bullet. Doesn't it take rather large explosions, (AP mines like you said) to kill with the pressure wave, while hand grenades don't kill with the pressure wave.
May 20th, 2004  
Redneck

Never had any experience with the human side of this, but I do know from personal experience that you can kill ground squirrels, etc. with a high power rifle if they are against/on top of a solid object such as a fencepost by shooting next to/below them, the concussion of the impact kills the critter without splattering it.
--
May 21st, 2004  
C/2nd Lt Robot

pretty much anything that kills, wounds, hurts or anything like that can be considered inhumane now a days, all thanks to "normal" people that shaped our society.
May 26th, 2004  
Eric

I remember a specific trainig on Mines where pixs were shown on the effect on a body of booby trapped AT mines turned into AP mines...Just think of your stepping on 14 pounds of HE!
May 26th, 2004  
Sgt. Nick Fury

Even a hard punch will knock a man down, if he is not braced for it, (like say when he's running cover to cover). As for the power to the shooter. The transfer of power to the shooter depends largely on the Firing mechanism, a bolt action, and a semi auto do NOT have the same kick with the same round.

All that said.....I really think the whole word "humane" has no bearings on ballistics. The purpose of a round is to kill the enemy before he kills you, it is not supposed to be friendly. At least a bullet that deforms or fragments is less likely to kill people ten houses down from where your target was.

I really hate the concept of politically correct arsenals on anything short of WMD.
May 26th, 2004  
C/2nd Lt Robot

No what their hoping you'll do is walk up to the enemy and say "excuse me, but do you mind if i were to kill you and some of your freinds?"
May 26th, 2004  
ruger322003

What bullet isnt?
May 27th, 2004  
JaegerWolf08

PC really pisses a lot of people off, especially me.
June 20th, 2004  
Silent_Grunt_jb

wow the 5.56mm round inhumane lol guess I shouldn't have accidently hit him with the 40mm then (joking) . 5.56 is about humane thus the reason it takes 3 people away from the battle instead of just killing you. next thing you know some swedish commision will have us out on a battlefield with pellet guns and still say we are being inhumane. I say screw what they have to say.