View Poll Results :.45 SMG or 9mm SMG?
.45 SMG 14 53.85%
9mm SMG 12 46.15%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

--

April 15th, 2006  
MightyMacbeth

Topic: .45 SMG or 9mm SMG?

what do you think? what is better overall and for taking down?
April 15th, 2006  
Missileer

Since SMGs are for close quarters, the .45 would be my choice for one hit, one kill. The HK UMP45 is hard to beat.

http://remtek.com/arms/hk/mil/ump/ump45.htm
April 15th, 2006  
Fox

I chose .45. Cause it is bigger than the 9mm bullet. And I like it cause it involed with .45 colt pistol and Tommy gun.
--
April 15th, 2006  
MightyMacbeth

ahh yes its for the close quarters etc..

And yeah, the .45 is an interesting choice yes

Good points there Fox
April 15th, 2006  
CanadianCombat

Very simple awnser, the .45 has a lot more stoping power.
April 15th, 2006  
FutureDevilDog

Its a toss up:

The .45 has a greater stopping power yet has a very slow ROF and a smaller mag due to the weight of the bullet.

The 9mm on the other hand has slightly less stopping power yet it has a higher ROF, it weighs less, and its accuracy is outstanding.

But if I had to chose I would go with the FNP90, even though its not on the list, considering its a 5.7mm.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=p90&pl=true

there is an awesome video of the P90 at work.
April 16th, 2006  
MightyMacbeth

hmm yes FutureDevilDog.. They both have their goods an bads indeed.. I do agree
April 16th, 2006  
moving0target

It's entirely situational. If you're arming a military or even just a task for within the military, thinking about the single operator versus a single target won't work. It's the same arguement I use to deffend 5.56mm. Using a smaller caliber allows for greater carrying capacity. When going into combat, what if the extra couple of mags a soldier can carry makes the ultimate difference?

Planing for the larger scale, thinking strategically, implies that one plans for most situations rather than trying to cover every single one. Most targets aren't going to shrug off a burst of 9mm in the chest. There are, of course, anecdotal tales of bad guys soaking up smaller caliber rounds and ultimately killing the shooter, but what is the actual percentage of confrontations where this occurs? Is it really large enough to justify working around the shortcomings of the .45 caliber round compared to the 9mm round?

The other side of the coin involves thinking very specifically. Strip away all the details. Think only of gunman, target, and one shot. In that very specific circumstance, .45 is arguably more desireable.
April 16th, 2006  
5.56X45mm

Neither, I'd use the .40 S&W Cartridge.

It's just as powerful as a .45 ACP but you still get the lower recoil and ammo capacity of the 9X19mm.
April 16th, 2006  
MightyMacbeth

hmmm.. some good worthy info given gentlemen
thanks