.45 SMG 14 53.85%
9mm SMG 12 46.15%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

--

May 6th, 2006  
mmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander_0633
Well, it usually depends on the situation you are in.
Thats my feeling too. For example, I wonder about overpentration of the .45 in confined enviroments such as inside an aircraft.
May 9th, 2006  
zander_0633

Well, that definitely is! It all boils down to the excat situation and where it is. It is sometimes more confusing when half way in the mission, you need to change ammo type!
May 10th, 2006  
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
Thats my feeling too. For example, I wonder about overpentration of the .45 in confined enviroments such as inside an aircraft.
One of the strange things about this cartridge is that there is very little overpenetration. This is due to the fact that the round is subsonic from the time it is fired, whereas the 9mm is supersonic. this is also the reason why the .45 acp was never noted for accuracy. But in an airplane, .45 may well be the way to go as its lower velocity would mean that any errant rounds could well be stopped or deflected by anything. Sorry, but there are many better pistol rounds out there. 9mm, 10mm, .40, 5.7, .357 mag.... there are so many to choose from, and .45 ACP is at the bottom of the barrel, imo.

Dean.
--
May 10th, 2006  
zander_0633

They could just use rubber bullets in planes.
May 10th, 2006  
gigabrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureDevilDog
But if I had to chose I would go with the FNP90, even though its not on the list, considering its a 5.7mm.
So true
May 11th, 2006  
2dold4this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
One of the strange things about this cartridge is that there is very little overpenetration. This is due to the fact that the round is subsonic from the time it is fired, whereas the 9mm is supersonic. this is also the reason why the .45 acp was never noted for accuracy. But in an airplane, .45 may well be the way to go as its lower velocity would mean that any errant rounds could well be stopped or deflected by anything. Sorry, but there are many better pistol rounds out there. 9mm, 10mm, .40, 5.7, .357 mag.... there are so many to choose from, and .45 ACP is at the bottom of the barrel, imo.

Dean.

The .45 might be an advantage in an aircraft and it would be an advantage if one needed to be quiet. I'm glad you mentioned the .357 as it is a killer round.
May 11th, 2006  
major liability

.45 is also great for unarmored targets, and even if they've got body armor, it'll punch hard.
May 14th, 2006  
zander_0633

That's good ammo for police! The ned use those type right!
May 14th, 2006  
Kozzy Mozzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigabrain
So true
5.7mm is overrated

it isnt the hammer of thor
May 15th, 2006  
major liability

5.7 is definitely overrated, sure it'll go through body armor, but if they don't have body armor (i.e. pretty much everyone we're fighting these days) the terminal ballistics fall behind.

I still love the 10mm Auto...