3rd ARUF

JackK

Hello folks!

I'm attempting to help someone find information about his deceased father's WW2 service. He served in the Philipines during WW2 as a member of the 3rd ARUF with APO in San Francisco. He was awarded the Silver Star and was a member of the USAAF.

Can someone help me find out what ARUF stood for and, any other information about the unit?

Thanks - JackK
:?

Umm my guess is that you are looking at ARU (F) which stands for Aircraft Repair Unit (Floating) which were basically floating repair shops.

If you want to know more look up Project "Ivory Soap" and that should give you a better result or you could try contacting the creator of this page...
http://www.usmm.org/felknorivory.html

Thanks for the reply!

His son tells me that his dad was in some sort of aircraft recon unit. He was a photographer as well as a radioman. They operated somewhere out of the Philipines with missions over Japan.

JackK
:)

Umm my guess is that you are looking at ARU (F) which stands for Aircraft Repair Unit (Floating) which were basically floating repair shops.

Thanks for that tip! It appears that he was indeed in this type of unit. He apparently was specialized in repairing and installing radio equipment, antennas, etc.

Thanks for that tip! It appears that he was indeed in this type of unit. He apparently was specialized in repairing and installing radio equipment, antennas, etc.

Cool, the ARUF units have an interesting history so you should have a lot of fun tracking down information.

Back