1911 Colt .45 - Page 4

--

June 18th, 2004  
Mark Conley

Guys...come on.

Pistols are close range instruments. A 100 yards is 300 feet, and 50 yards is a 150 feet. Now why in the hell are you trying to shoot targets with a pistol at those distances?
June 18th, 2004  
C/2nd Lt Robot

Maybe their bored? The Colt .45 is still accurate at 50yrds so why not? (well as accurate as the shooter i mean)
June 18th, 2004  
ACTaFOOL82

I feel dumb, up until now I thought 9mm and .45 are the same size. but anyway... we were cleaning out a house, and the man I was working for found a .22 a 410 shotgun and a .45 pistol the pistol didnt work but it was cool and free.
--
June 19th, 2004  
c/Commander

What? I hit the head of a target three times at 50 yards with the 1911 and five at 50 yards with the Beretta...100 yards is bloody impossible.
June 19th, 2004  
FutureRANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Conley
Guys...come on.

Pistols are close range instruments. A 100 yards is 300 feet, and 50 yards is a 150 feet. Now why in the hell are you trying to shoot targets with a pistol at those distances?
Because, sir, we had already broken a target frame (we shot it by accident). So in order to prevent further damages we were told to just point it at something downrange. :P
June 19th, 2004  
Mark Conley

Ohhhhhh ROFLMAO!

ok i was just wondering....I thought you had telescopic sight on those weapons....sheeessshhh
June 19th, 2004  
Lil Hulk 1988

Topic: 1911 vs M9

Qualified with both, it was easier to qualify with the M9, but it felt like a cap gun compared to the .45. The number of rounds didn't really matter to me, had the issue 7 and bought the aftermarket 12, which wouldn't matter since one hit from the .45 creates havoc while you may have to put a couple more in with the 9mm. Even though in the Corps you have to qual to 50 meters, if you are using it passed 10 meters, then you are using the wrong weapon for the job.
June 20th, 2004  
c/Commander

Unless its in competition...which is about the only reason I have any use for a pistol in the first place.
June 20th, 2004  
Koldun

When I first enlisted, the M1911A1 was the standard service pistol of the US Coast Guard. The one I carried had been somehow acquired by my great-gransfather in WWI and has been handed down from father to son through four generations. (It has been rebuilt and refurbished so many times over the decades that I doubt that anything but the frame is original anymore.) I still had it with me during my last deployment, but carried it more for the sake of family tradition than anything else; this was the venerable weapon's last war.

I also had an issue M9, of which I was originally skeptical but soon came to appreciate. In addition to sharing a common ammunition with other NATO pistols and submachine guns, it has less recoil than the .45, holds more ammunition, and is generally easier to handle. I used to encourage those of my men who were issued pistols to spend enough time on the range to become accurate shots with them; if they ever needed their pistols in battle, they were going to appreciate being able to hit their targets effectively.