120mm vs. 125mm

--

August 16th, 2009  
benaakatz

Topic: 120mm vs. 125mm

Is there any real difference between these?

Why does Russia opt for the 125mm while Western nations stick with the 120mm?
August 17th, 2009  
darkgreensoldier666

Quote:
Originally Posted by benaakatz
Is there any real difference between these?

Why does Russia opt for the 125mm while Western nations stick with the 120mm?
LoL just to show theire citizens that russian tanks are better .
Russia always using a bigger caliber then NATO kind'a I think they still thinking they are in a cold war
August 18th, 2009  
cisco

Why shouldn't they use that calibre? They dont need to follow Nato standards.
I dont think these 5 mm make any real difference.
--
August 18th, 2009  
Titanium

From a period that bigger meant better, that's 5 mm. better. LoL.
August 18th, 2009  
cisco

Topic: bigger means better

quite amazing, isn't it? There we had the bigger, but definitely not better german A7 tank in WWI, various attemts to get better by making things bigge, from overheavy tanks like the russian Klim-Woroshilov, over Königstiger and Maus to Monstrosities like the Rat. Than, after WWII we build lighter hardware, 20 and 30mm autocannons have been fine for decades, the 105 mm maingun was fine for decades, and now we are back to?
Yup. getting bigger, the MBTs get heavier, the guns bigger calibres, I wondeer when its time for Big Berthas rebirth.
August 19th, 2009  
USMC1990

ummm...hell yeah 5mm makes alot of difference
August 19th, 2009  
c/Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1990
ummm...hell yeah 5mm makes alot of difference
Hope that's sarcasm
August 19th, 2009  
Panzercracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco
quite amazing, isn't it? There we had the bigger, but definitely not better german A7 tank in WWI, various attemts to get better by making things bigge, from overheavy tanks like the russian Klim-Woroshilov,
Which was also the single most scare vehicle Germans encountered in 1941 and single handedly stopped entire brigades for hours.
Quote:
over Königstiger and Maus to Monstrosities like the Rat. Than, after WWII we build lighter hardware, 20 and 30mm autocannons have been fine for decades, the 105 mm maingun was fine for decades, and now we are back to?
Actually the 105mm was never fine, the West was behind Russia in tank design for decades and there was a ridiculous minimalistic approach to armaments.
Quote:
Yup. getting bigger, the MBTs get heavier, the guns bigger calibres, I wondeer when its time for Big Berthas rebirth.
150mm are coming, Koreans have an option to build it into their tanks, Americans and Germans are quietly considering a new generation of tanks with a 150mm main gun, Russians too though in their case its more of wishfull thinking.
August 19th, 2009  
cisco

Topic: back to the roots than

>150mm are coming, Koreans have an option to build it into their tanks, Americans and Germans are quietly considering a new generation of tanks with a 150mm main gun, Russians too though in their case its more of wishfull thinking.<

Hope Krupp (I think its Rheinmetall now) didn't lose the blueprints for the Big Bertha. Ansd maybe we can mount some 400 mm guns on the ne frigates. The MONARC Project looked quite promising, but still a small Calibre if we want to do it as bigger as better way.
August 19th, 2009  
Panzercracker

Quote:
>150mm are coming, Koreans have an option to build it into their tanks, Americans and Germans are quietly considering a new generation of tanks with a 150mm main gun, Russians too though in their case its more of wishfull thinking.<

Hope Krupp (I think its Rheinmetall now) didn't lose the blueprints for the Big Bertha. Ansd maybe we can mount some 400 mm guns on the ne frigates. The MONARC Project looked quite promising, but still a small Calibre if we want to do it as bigger as better way.
There's no point for these kinds of guns, anti-ship missiles can make a mangled mess of any ship in a manner which makes capital ships artillery look weak.

As for railway guns, the whole idea was to deliver a big boom over a massive range, today we can do that with improved explosives in 120-150mm artillery and with rocket propelled shells they can reach over 50km of range so beyond the cool factor huge artillery calibers are useless both on land and on the sea.