120mm M1028 Canister - Page 2

--

March 15th, 2006  
masterblaster

Canester is one of the old ammunitions available. Just about all american artilley has a round available Being smoothbore, the 120 tank gun would be especially effective. it is called canaster because the original load was just a tin canaster full of round lead pistol balls. it only had a couple hundred yards range but that was enough if you were muzzle-to-muzzle on a sailing warship. Remember the very long bery good movie about Gettysburg that Ted Turner made; there was one scene at the break point of Pickett's charge, the Union artillery fired a Napoleon 12 pounder with a double canaster load. It killed hundreds.
March 16th, 2006  
jedi078

While it says that there are an estimated 1150 balls in a single canister round, how big is each individual ball?
March 16th, 2006  
PJ24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi078
While it says that there are an estimated 1150 balls in a single canister round, how big is each individual ball?
10mm
--
April 20th, 2007  
Gator

In my own opinion Flechettes from the Beehive Rounds work better against OPFOR in the open than the balls from the Canister Rounds.
April 21st, 2007  
senojekips

What's so new about cannister rounds for armoured use? I thought that they were pretty much standard all over the world.

It has always been the preferred means of removing massed attackers from other armoured units here in Australia. It also removes all the outside bins and any attached bits 'n' pieces, not to mention that it does nothing for the paint job.
April 21st, 2007  
Gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by senojekips
What's so new about cannister rounds for armoured use? I thought that they were pretty much standard all over the world.

It has always been the preferred means of removing massed attackers from other armoured units here in Australia. It also removes all the outside bins and any attached bits 'n' pieces, not to mention that it does nothing for the paint job.
The M1028 uses Tungsten balls, it's like the hip thing on todays battlefield, expensive, but hip.
Like when the Country Club types talk about the type of Wine they drink as opposed to the type of wine everyone else drinks.
April 21st, 2007  
senojekips

Gotcha Gator, bigger 'n' better, eh.

It's very reassuring to see that the old time weapons are not forgotten.