The German tanks - Page 3

Read more about Hi I ould like to hear your opinion on the current german battletank do you think it rocks or do you think it sucks tell me your opinion I always like to hear p

International Military Forums > >
User Name
Password

September 25th, 2005   #21
FO Seaman

Re: The German tanks info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomprophet
Hi

I ould like to hear your opinion on the current german battletank
do you think it rocks
or do you think it sucks
tell me your opinion
I always like to hear people from other countries talk over our Military Hardware
Well comparing the Leo 2A6 with the M1A2 and CH2. It has good armor, good range and a good engine.

I'd say these three are about equal. But when comparing the M1A2 and Leo 2 is like comparing eggs. Both have the M256 120mm, Both have 1500HP engines, both have superb armor protection, and both share technology and design's off the MBT-70. The Leo 2 also resemble's the Tiger, but overall it is a superb tank.

But for a short time in the 60's and 70's most of the German armor force was American M48A2C's.

--
September 26th, 2005   #22
AlexKall

If i'm not misstaking the M1A2 was first in production in 1990, the Leopard 2 was in production in 1979

Source of the info of when the M1A2 was first put into production was http://www.military.com/Resources/EQ...NK&cat=g&lev=2

Devin, they are holding your life and they will never let go! Come home safe!

September 27th, 2005   #23
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKall
If i'm not misstaking the M1A2 was first in production in 1990, the Leopard 2 was in production in 1979

Source of the info of when the M1A2 was first put into production was http://www.military.com/Resources/EQ...NK&cat=g&lev=2
The A2 was first produced in 90', but the M1 was first produced in 79'. The A1 and A2 don't differ much externally.

Yes the Leo 2 was built in 79'.

I don't get what your point is? The M1 Family is built around the MBT-70 as is the Leo 2.

September 27th, 2005   #24
OORAH

anything connected with the military that comes form Germany is usually top notch.

And shepards we shall be
For thee, My Lord, for thee
Power hath descended forth from thy hand
That our feet may quickly carry out thy command
So we shall flow a river forth to thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be
In nomini Patri, et Fili, Spiritus Sancti

Veritas, Aequitas

September 27th, 2005   #25
AlexKall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadet Seaman
Quote:

The A2 was first produced in 90', but the M1 was first produced in 79'. The A1 and A2 don't differ much externally.

I don't get what your point is? The M1 Family is built around the MBT-70 as is the Leo 2.
Well you did mention M1A2 and not M1 from 1979. And the year on the Leo wasnt a question

And if it differ much externaly is only something you have to consider if its a buty contest, its the inside that counts and there quite a difference between the M1A2 and Leo 2 when it comes to internal parts, such as electronics etc, so i'm not sure why you compare a tank from 79 with an updated tank from 90. Thats my point

Think of how much a computer changed in 10 years.

September 28th, 2005   #26
FO Seaman

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well you did mention M1A2 and not M1 from 1979. And the year on the Leo wasnt a question

And if it differ much externaly is only something you have to consider if its a buty contest, its the inside that counts and there quite a difference between the M1A2 and Leo 2 when it comes to internal parts, such as electronics etc, so i'm not sure why you compare a tank from 79 with an updated tank from 90. Thats my point

Well considring that the armor platform ramains the same, yet the designation hasn't. The current tank, the Leopard 2A6 is totally differ form the baseline Leo 2.

As you said, it's the inside that counts. The M1 and M1A2 are the same externally, execpt the CITV, UAAPU, and main gun.

M1= M1A2

Leo 2= Leo 2A6

Both armor platforms where built in 1979, but have been updated through the years.

M1

M1A2 SEP

Leo 2

Leo 2A6

Quote:
The successor to the Leopard 1, the Leopard 2, was first produced in 1979. A variety of upgrade programs and options are available for the Leopard 2. These include the Atlas Elektronik Vehicle Integrated Command and Information System (IFIS), a digital command and information system. The Leopard 2 has had technical improvements under Upgrading Level I and Level II programs. A new smoothbore gun, the 120 millimetre L55 Gun, has been developed by Rheinmetall GmbH of Ratingen, Germany to replace the shorter 120 millimetre L44 smoothbore tankgun on the Leopard 2. It permits effective use of a new APFSDS-T round, DM53 (LKE II), with a longer rod penetrator, and which is under development. The German Army has decided not to buy the DM43 APFSDS-T round (aka LKE 1), rather to wait and upgrade to the DM53.

September 28th, 2005   #27
FULLMETALJACKET

"uh id liek to by one of those." yeah, imagine tanks on the streets like cars are now, ROAD RAGE. leopard II's highly effective.

September 28th, 2005   #28
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLMETALJACKET
"uh id liek to by one of those." yeah, imagine tanks on the streets like cars are now, ROAD RAGE. leopard II's highly effective.
I what?

September 28th, 2005   #29
AlexKall

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well considring that the armor platform ramains the same, yet the designation hasn't. The current tank, the Leopard 2A6 is totally differ form the baseline Leo 2.

As you said, it's the inside that counts. The M1 and M1A2 are the same externally, execpt the CITV, UAAPU, and main gun.

M1= M1A2

Leo 2= Leo 2A6

Both armor platforms where built in 1979, but have been updated through the years.

M1

M1A2 SEP

Leo 2

Leo 2A6
The reason for why I said that its the inside that counts is because when comparing a tank from 1979 and 1990 its the Electronics that changes the most, there for I don't see a reason to look at the outside either. It is however a big part of a modern tank.

Also Leopard 2 = Leopard 2
Leopard 2 A6 = Leopard 2 A6
STRV 122 = STRV 122 and so on

By the way, you posted a picture of an early Leopard 2 A4 model and not a Leopard 2 (Its still a Leopard 2 but Leopard 2 referes to the first Leopard 2 and not any of the upgrades, the correct way is to add the upgrade designition at the end for clearification.

September 28th, 2005   #30
FO Seaman

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

M1= M1A2

Leo 2= Leo 2A6

M1

M1A2 SEP

Leo 2

Leo 2A6
The reason for why I said that its the inside that counts is because when comparing a tank from 1979 and 1990 its the Electronics that changes the most, there for I don't see a reason to look at the outside either. It is however a big part of a modern tank.

Also Leopard 2 = Leopard 2
Leopard 2 A6 = Leopard 2 A6
STRV 122 = STRV 122 and so on

By the way, you posted a picture of an early Leopard 2 A4 model and not a Leopard 2 (Its still a Leopard 2 but Leopard 2 referes to the first Leopard 2 and not any of the upgrades, the correct way is to add the upgrade designition at the end for clearification.

I know I posted a picture of an early 2A4, the site doesn't have any Leo 2 photos.

I do get your point. The Leo 2A6 is the same platform as the Leo. The Leo 2A6 is the most recent variant of the Leo 2 family, as is the M1A2 for the M1 family. I was comparing the M1A2 SEP with the Leopard 2A6.

Are you stating the M1A2 SEP is superior to the Leopard 2A6?

Tags
german, hardware, hear, opinion, people