From Times Online
June 15, 2009
First 'anti-stab' knife to go on sale in Britain

cornock_573617a.jpg

anti-stab-knife.jpg

(www.newpointknives.co.uk)

The knives are expected to sell for £40-50

Kaya Burgess

The first “anti-stab” knife is to go on sale in Britain, designed to work as normal in the kitchen but to be ineffective as a weapon.

The knife has a rounded edge instead of a point and will snag on clothing and skin to make it more difficult to stab someone.

It was invented by industrial designer John Cornock, who was inspired by a documentary in which doctors advocated banning traditional knives.

Mr Cornock, 42, from Swindon, said that the knife will cut vegetables, but will make it almost impossible to stab someone to death and will reduce the risk of accidental injuries.

He said: “It can never be a totally safe knife, but the idea is you can’t inflict a fatal wound. Nobody could just grab one out of the kitchen drawer and kill someone.”

The knife is expected to sell for around £40-50 and has been tested with “very favourable” results by the Home Office’s Design and Technology Alliance - set up to research products that can deter crime.
smiley_freak.gif
smiley_freak.gif
smiley_freak.gif
smiley_freak.gif
smiley_freak.gif

Dear lord..... I guess the idea of selling a knife for $80-$100 (US Dollars) without a point is really going to reduce crime. Nope.... bench grinders or files and thirty seconds I a normal knife.

Oh.... the pointy stick is Man's oldest weapon. I guess banning pointy knives will remove them from the streets in about three weeks.

What about slashing attacks? ice Picks? Screw Drivers? etc..... It's not the weapon. It's the intent of the user.

Will prevent fatal attacks? I can slash a human throat far easier and kill someone with that attack then stabbing someone. Cut the artery and the person will bleed out in about three minutes.

Dear Lord I can't this mindless crap. Sadly Obama wants to bring this Big Brother style of government stateside and there are a ton of idiot liberals that will support it.

knifebinES2304_415x275.jpg

2502123405_fb993b6805.jpg

As for their bins..... string+magnet=free knives.

knife_crime_amnesty_poster.jpg

IMAGE21256.jpg

I used to make switchblades out of popsicle sticks when I was a kid.

ETA: kinda like this.

F0K75O4F82EZDUQ.MEDIUM.jpg

I guess that the UK really believes that someone doesn't have any common sense..... I guess self defense is a no no and being armed is bad....

There's a difference between what Obama's plans are for the country and what GB is doing... I highly doubt the pointless knife is high on Obama's plan for lowering the rate of violence in America.

It's what we like to call apples and oranges.

I'll admit that this is ridiculous. There's absolutely no point (pardon the pun) in having a pointless knife because slashing a human throat is much more effective as far as killing (fatal wound) goes anyway. But I DO think their hearts are in the right place. Instead of arming everyone to the teeth and seeing how well people live in fear of one another, trying to consciously lower the rate of violence so that people can live without fear of criminals OR their crazy neighbor with the 12 bore.

Yeah, I don't know if it's fair to make a link with Obama to this at the moment. Current indications are that he's probably not going to go ahead with anything like this.

Henderson, I think the idea is stupid because we're again focusing on the tools rather than the cause.
Truth is, I can kill someone with a sharpened pencil or a pen but I can't do it with a feather. Are we going to go back to using ink and feather?
Ban cell phones because they can be used to trigger explosives.
Ban swimming pools because it causes some fatalities.
Ban cars for about a million reasons.
Ban spray cans because they can be used as weapon too. Actually since guns are illegal in this country, I have spray paint cans placed in strategic points at my house for use as a defense aid. A spray in the face and it'll give me a distinctive edge against any intruder.

Last edited:
There's a difference between what Obama's plans are for the country and what GB is doing... I highly doubt the pointless knife is high on Obama's plan for lowering the rate of violence in America.

It's what we like to call apples and oranges.

I'll admit that this is ridiculous. There's absolutely no point (pardon the pun) in having a pointless knife because slashing a human throat is much more effective as far as killing (fatal wound) goes anyway. But I DO think their hearts are in the right place. Instead of arming everyone to the teeth and seeing how well people live in fear of one another, trying to consciously lower the rate of violence so that people can live without fear of criminals OR their crazy neighbor with the 12 bore.

Once again..... evil people will still be around. Can't get rid of them. I live in a very pro self defense state. Lower crime stats.... I've been in States that have open carry laws and everyone is armed. Lower crime stats and nice folks.

Criminals are predators. They prey on the weak. The weak are disarmed. Criminals break laws, hence laws that remove arms and the means of self defense from the law abiding citizenry only effect the law abiding citizenry since criminals break the law.

As for the knife ban.... wrong. They are currently trying to push a Federal ban on any pocket knife that can be opened with one hand.

U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) just a bit over two weeks ago on May 21st proposed revoking earlier rulings that assisted opening knives are not switchblades. The proposed new rule would not only outlaw assisted opening knives, its new broad definition of a switchblade would also include one-handed opening knives and could be easily interpreted to cover most other pocket knives, even simple old-fashioned slip-joints. At this point, one-hand opening and assisted opening knives are 80% of U.S. knife sales (per AKTI industry sources). For most knife companies, they represent all or the majority of their product lines. These are the knives Americans take with them to work and to play everyday.Note, please, that CBP's interpretation of the Federal Switchblade Act forms the basis for national, state and even local law and judicial rulings in many cases. This ruling by CBP is NOT limited to just imports. This WILL affect virtually everyone who carries a pocket knife, no matter the type!
It's not even being pushed through Congress. This is being done through Customs and Border Protection. Same as how BATFE can regulate firearm law without Congressional Approval.

predators9976.jpg

s_wheelchair.jpg

That's crazy. So a Swiss Army Knife would also fall into the category of a switchblade? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Then again, this is happening regardless of who the President is.

So we're creating pointless blades? I wasn't aware... Why didn't you just post a US article instead of going to the UK for it?

if i was president I'd run on the platform of an "AK for every home" : )
You'll have the support of middle schoolers everywhere.

Dear lord..... I guess the idea of selling a knife for $80-$100 (US Dollars) without a point is really going to reduce crime. Nope.... bench grinders or files and thirty seconds I a normal knife.

Oh.... the pointy stick is Man's oldest weapon. I guess banning pointy knives will remove them from the streets in about three weeks.

What about slashing attacks? ice Picks? Screw Drivers? etc..... It's not the weapon. It's the intent of the user.

Will prevent fatal attacks? I can slash a human throat far easier and kill someone with that attack then stabbing someone. Cut the artery and the person will bleed out in about three minutes.

Dear Lord I can't this mindless crap. Sadly Obama wants to bring this Big Brother style of government stateside and there are a ton of idiot liberals that will support it.
Agree that this is mindless crap, but I do not see any connection to Obama whatsoever.

I see what they're trying to go at by creating this thing but it's still so mindlessly stupid. What's next, safety scissors for Britain?

You know I read this thread and no matter how hard I tried I just can't bring myself to really give a damn what the British do and much like every one else I cant see how Obama fits into this in any way.

The concern is that ideas like this could catch on with some pretty influential groups in the US. No country is an island, except New Zealand it seems.
Tying it with Obama specifically though was a big stretch.

Actually we are several islands.
Woot us.

If the New Zealand government was dim witted enough to try and put through a policy like this there would lots and lots of laughter and then we would toss them out on their collective arses at the next election.

See not only are we an island we also understand voting and can tell the difference between good and bad government.

On the other hand, what is so wrong with trying to reduce crime in a positive note? What's wrong to find a solution to all the stabbing going on in Britain? If I had a tottler I wouldn't mind such a knife. Does every initiative has to be focused on being better armed then "the big bad criminal lurking around my house ready to kill every living thing in my house"? Try to focus on something else the fear all the time.

Sure and now you can say: tell this to the victims etc etc. I just think that living your life in fear continuously you are a victim for your whole life. And I am not ready to do that. In short: perhaps a silly thing this knife, but I like the initiative!

The craziest idea were the 'low injury' bullets, (so presumably you would have to pump 3 times as much into your opponent to stop him) was it the Swiss who invented these?

Last edited:
Back