Yup let's blame videogames

milions of people play video games and they dont become mass murderers.

Yup, I played a lot of violence, mature, and graphic games such as The Punisher, DOOM 3, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and more. But I'm not a killer for the real world.

I dont think its the game that is the problem but the state of mind of the player, part of the problem is that some people stop differentiating between real world and game world and see it as one.

However this Jack Thompson character is usually way off target with his attacks and seems to have little idea what he is talking about as I recall Microsoft didnt create Counter Strike.

Last edited:
Jack Thompson represents the type of conservative I despise the most: The Holier-than-thou, "morals" preacher who sole contribution to society is sticking their nose into others peoples business or personal life in order to preach to them. The sole purpose of his kind is not to build a better society but so that he HE can get elected.

I could mention his ambulance chasing tactics against Take-Two (GTA series) in Alabama (which got him disbarred there), or I mention his pathetic attempts to ban rap music groups like 2 Live Crew and NWA, (which in the case of the latter, totally backfired making the then unknown NWA an extremely popular group). Dr. Dre , Easy-E, and Ice Cube all have Jack Thompson to thank for launching their careers. (There is a rumor that Dr. Dre still sends him a fruit basket every year as thanks for his lawsuit).

But the classic Jack Thompson was back in 2000 when he ran against Janet Reno for Attorney General.

His platform wasn't his court record (its not that great) nor was it his plans for combating crime (he didn't have one) nor did he bother attacking his opponents platform.

Instead he picked a platform that he thought was by far the most important for Floridians:

Janet Reno is a Lesbian.

And he made sure everybody in Florida (those that still hadn't figured it out) that she was a Lesbian hoping that Homophobia would make him win the election.

Instead, He lost in a landslide. Apparently even the far-right thought he was a self-serving fraud.

BTW, after Reno dismissed his frivolous lawsuit against Take-Two he again went around the TV networks reminding everybody that she was gay.

Nice, Jack.

Video games per se are not to blame, but I have no doubt whatsoever that they do reinforce unrealistic expectations and behaviour patterns, in certain types of individuals.

Jack Thompson is a person who does not understand the gaming industry. His letter to Bill Gates and to Microsoft have already exposed his eccentric views on the Video Game Industry.

They desensitise people to violence... THAT is their danger.

Like the nightly news doesnt, or a movie like Saw III. The problem is a lack of education in right from wrong and real life and entertainment. Hollywood has desensitized and glorified violence far more than any video game.

I saw a cartoon in this months playboy that made so much sense, it was of an alien and a human female. The alien says "Your civilization must be far more advanced then mine for we still celebrate sex and consider violence obscene."

You can not blame a product for how the end user uses it or precives it.

You can not blame a product for how the end user uses it or precives it.

I think that the problem is somewhat deeper than that. When a game has totally unrealistic gameplay it certainly can be blamed for creating the wrong impression in young and/or impressionable persons.

By unrealistic I mean things like cars that crash into others at high speed but allow the driver to just drive away, whereas in real life they would be dead or seriously injured.

Except possibly for happy ( ;) - if you know what I mean) Independent registered Republicans who may also be RINO's, I think we can all agree that children and minors up to a certain age should be protected from certain types of vid/computer games. This can be done by classifications and labels that warn parents about the content of games. No further regulation is necessary. Let parents control what goes into their children's minds and the State or Government can help by providing information via classification and description labels.

I think that the problem is somewhat deeper than that. When a game has totally unrealistic gameplay it certainly can be blamed for creating the wrong impression in young and/or impressionable persons.

By unrealistic I mean things like cars that crash into others at high speed but allow the driver to just drive away, whereas in real life they would be dead or seriously injured.

Watch any movies lately?

Perhaps a television show?

have a read of this http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18233164/

Many people think a crime can be solved in a 45 minute TV show and that they really do have all the crazy technology you see on CSI...

Thing is realism usually isn't very entertaining...People should have the mental capacity to differentiate the difference between entertainment and real life. We should not be holding everyones hand as they walk through life. Plus why should the masses be punished for the delusional psychosis of the few.

Last edited:
Jack Thompson is the same as Hillary Clinton and Sarah brady and other anti-firearm folks. Since they do not understand or owm such items, they wish to take it away from eveyone else.

Watch any movies lately?

Perhaps a television show?

have a read of this http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18233164/

Many people think a crime can be solved in a 45 minute TV show and that they really do have all the crazy technology you see on CSI...

Thing is realism usually isn't very entertaining...People should have the mental capacity to differentiate the difference between entertainment and real life. We should not be holding everyones hand as they walk through life. Plus why should the masses be punished for the delusional psychosis of the few.

Yep,... all of that too, but the question was about video gamers, so that was what I answered.

No, you are quite right, we can't hold everyone's hand, but we can and must attempt to protect the innocent victims of these weak minded individuals.

Blaming video games is like blaming alcohol for the drunk driver that killed a family...

Or blaming the gun....

I wonder how long it will be until someone models Hilary Clinton for shooting in a FPS. Man that'll raise a stink.

I should get crackin on that!

I wonder how long it will be until someone models Hilary Clinton for shooting in a FPS. Man that'll raise a stink.

I should get crackin on that!

Someone should make a DOOM copy but instead of all the demons and such. replace the bad guys with Hillary Clintons, John Kerrys, etc.... That would be funny. Also to be fair, let the evil liberals have their version too.

Hmmmm...... I think I might have a viable product to sell

Back