Your weapon in the stix

Yossarian

Forum Resistance Leader
Now this thread is simple, you or your military unit is deployed to a central African nation for example, the Northern portion is Sub Saharan, hot dry and extremely arid.

The south of the same country is running into rainforest, wet, humid and very damp.

The question is simple, leaving all logic and politics and related debates out of the topic, heres the question.

Your running security jobs or protection of interests jobs, (basiclly guarding western or east Asian companies or something like that who are there to gather some type of resource, oil coal whatever just use your imagination)

In this situation, you can choose one primary weapon, now keep in mind, your in the stix, so if you choose a highly advanced electronic battery powered marvel, chances are when your bibs and bops that run on electicity run out of said batterys, it is going to be a long 1000+ km hike back to the nearest radio shack....

So what would you use? Keep in mind the ammunition availible in this area of the world as well, old Soviet and Chinese rounds are plentiful, NATO rounds less common than before mentioned.

Remeber, this is in the middle nowhere in the land of wide open spaces and extreme heat, and in some areas moisture.

Just post your choice, may not be your favorite but hey, something you would use to get by in this situation.

Last edited:
hm.. I would choose an H&K 416 or 417 because of it's reliability but, I think the better choice would be a gun that fits the 7,62x39mm.

So, my gun of choice is the XCR.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robinson_Armament_XCR

It can fire the 7.62x39mm Round, and it can mount additional equipment, like a forgrip, if needed.

I would take an ACOG and a foregrip.

So that's my idea, but I'm just a german civilian ;)

You're in Africa, go with the AK47. Rounds are plentiful as are replacements. The freakin AK47 is Africa. Don't over think it.

Magpul Masada chambered in 7.62x39 or the FN FAL.

Why? The AK is mass produced, the parts are interchangable and you can't search a mud hut in Africa and not find an AK47 if the are armed. Why do you think two of the best COIN units ever, the SA Para Batt's and 32 Buffalo's issued the AK or the Selous Scouts? You have some gouge they didn't?

Id ride with 03USMC on this one,

If for some out of this world reason I was placed in this situation, I would get either a FN FAL chambered in the standard 7.62 by 51mm (semi auto light infantry rifle model), another common weapon in SOME areas it seems. Bound to be some illegal ammuntion running to supply ammo as well.

But more or less, when it all boils down, the AKM (AK 47 III genereation) with maybe a snythetic furniture, and thats not just being fancy but to reduce weight,

The old Russian K would most likely be the best bet, so all in all that would most likely be my choice, parts are plentiful, even interchangible with type 56s, or Yugo or Romanian models.

And those old Soviet M 67 rounds are everywhere.

Last edited:
I would go for the AK-103 or AN-94. Modern, lighter versions of the AK-47 and AK-74. Same reliability, modern materials, and chambered in the 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 perspectively. Can't go wrong with either one.:thumb: But if I wasn't using soviet/chinese ammo, then I would go with the g36 or the FN FAL. Both are reliable western rifles that use higher velocity nato rounds.

Last edited:
I would also go with the AK, will fire half full of sand, and parts can be found on the side of the road.

Thats the thing. Resupply and availabilty from the local sources. It ain't about how sexy it is, the AK47 in Africa is king.

Why? The AK is mass produced, the parts are interchangable and you can't search a mud hut in Africa and not find an AK47 if the are armed. Why do you think two of the best COIN units ever, the SA Para Batt's and 32 Buffalo's issued the AK or the Selous Scouts? You have some gouge they didn't?

Never said the AK47 wasn't king in Africa. It definitely is.

That's just me wanting my fancy modern tech when I'm reaching for the Masada. But in reality i would take an FN FAL chambered in 7.62 NATO because it would have the reach and accuracy the AK doesn't have for the wide open spaces mentioned in the intial post of the thread lol. There are some FALs out there in the sub-Saharan and central Africa along with appropriate ammo.

You're in Africa, go with the AK47. Rounds are plentiful as are replacements. The freakin AK47 is Africa. Don't over think it.

Gotta agree, nothing wrong with simplicity as long as its reliable and gets the job done.

Also Iron sights are never in need of batteries or fancy schmancy electrical devices.

Exact same reason with me, I am a civilian , but as far as I can tell wars aren't won by the glitter of fancy gear.

I'd much rather have confidence than paper bound specs in anything I am taking to such a place.

Why I recommend the semi auto FN FAL, or the AKM/47.

Both are widley used in that region, and both have mechanics I can identify with, and are much less likely to break apart than compared to some of today's compisite polymer wonders.

Not saying they would be a bad choice, just saying why complicate a situation more when you life may very well be on the line at any moment?

Now this thread is simple, you or your military unit is deployed to a central African nation for example, the Northern portion is Sub Saharan, hot dry and extremely arid.

The south of the same country is running into rainforest, wet, humid and very damp.

The question is simple, leaving all logic and politics and related debates out of the topic, heres the question.

Your running security jobs or protection of interests jobs, (basiclly guarding western or east Asian companies or something like that who are there to gather some type of resource, oil coal whatever just use your imagination)

In this situation, you can choose one primary weapon, now keep in mind, your in the stix, so if you choose a highly advanced electronic battery powered marvel, chances are when your bibs and bops that run on electicity run out of said batterys, it is going to be a long 1000+ km hike back to the nearest radio shack....

So what would you use? Keep in mind the ammunition availible in this area of the world as well, old Soviet and Chinese rounds are plentiful, NATO rounds less common than before mentioned.

Remeber, this is in the middle nowhere in the land of wide open spaces and extreme heat, and in some areas moisture.

Just post your choice, may not be your favorite but hey, something you would use to get by in this situation.

With the scenario you have set up!

AK47 - everything else would be a huge tactical stupidity.

It is about choosing the weapon that suits the environment you fight in, not which weapon that looks the most cool

I'm a little late to the party.

In Africa the AK-47 (Milled Receiver, USSR), AKM (Stamped Receiver, USSR), and Type 56 Carbine (Stamped Receiver, PRC) are universal.

Another two very common rifles in Africa is the Heckler & Kock G3 or the FN FAL in one variation or another. South Africa, Rhodesia, Portugal, etc... all issued both type of rifles to their troops during the Bush Wars that have raged across the continent in the last fifty years.

Since the two main calibers are 7.62x39mm and 7.62x51mm over there. The Western World and the USSR dumped millions of rounds and hundreds of thousands of arms there during the Cold War.

So in that case I'd take inch pattern FN FAL. It's the right arm of the free world with over 80 nations issuing the rifle and a large number of those nations were in Africa. Most of the former British territories issued L1A1 inch pattern FALs. So parts, magazines, and ammo is quite common over there.

I would do a inch pattern Para-FAL much like this.

DSA-SA58-Para-Small.JPG

Except the 1x4 scope would be on a one piece mount with quick disconnect throw lever. Would take a total of two seconds to remove the scope and use irons. Reason for the glass is simple. target identification and the ability to glass the field when needed. Also I would have a railed forend to mount a a Grip-Pod vertical foregrip. Stability is crucial for longer ranged shots. 7.62x51mm NATO is also simple. Need the punch for longer shots and also turns cover into concealment in thickly wooded areas.

@5.56x45mm

Nice info. :thumb:

@A Can of Man

Then you have BIG cojones!
Perhaps you should change your username to A Hell Of A Man! :p

sas1.jpg

FAL-Rhodesia-patrol.jpg

scout4.jpg

fal_rhodesian_scouts.jpg

GreysScoutsRhodesia1970_2.jpg

fn+fal+8.jpg

fal_zimbabwe_farmers.jpg

All of them are FN FALs except for the skinny malnourished kid in the last photo. He's hold a G3.... that explains why he's malnourished and the old man it well fed.

Back