Your weapon in the stix

I would do a inch pattern Para-FAL much like this.

I think I'll agree with you here as well. :smil:
Would choose a FAL/G3 of some kind for the reasons you list above.

Easy to find ammo, very reliable in both hot and cold weather and also no problems in forest areas and I really like my old AG-3.:rambo:

sas1.jpg

FAL-Rhodesia-patrol.jpg

scout4.jpg

fal_rhodesian_scouts.jpg

GreysScoutsRhodesia1970_2.jpg

fn+fal+8.jpg

fal_zimbabwe_farmers.jpg

All of them are FN FALs except for the skinny malnourished kid in the last photo. He's hold a G3.... that explains why he's malnourished and the old man it well fed.

Yeah I'm aware that the Rhodies and the SADF's used SLR's as well and that there are G3's and other weapons types in Africa, but that doesn't change the fact that AK's have been sent to Africa in the millions and are prevelant in almost every region, so if you are resupplying with what you can find instead of relaying on and established Log train, AK can't be under-rated and chances are it's going to be easier to obtain the 7.62x39.

IF I had a choice..
For me the important factors would be what nation/area I was going int?.
Is the amunition for the G3 readily available?
For an area where I anticipated long engagement ranges I would go for the G3 with an ACOG scope.
That would give you an edge over the AK,s with ironsights.
The FN/FAL IMO is too heavy to tab around with..

For areas with predominatly shorter engagement distances I would go for the AK for about the same reasons 03 mentioned.

But that´s just an opinion, everyone got one.

KJ sends..

Last edited:
Isn't the G3 heavier then the FN FAL?? If remember correctly...

Nope, FAL weighs 4,5kg,s while the G3 weighs in at a tad over 4.
4.09 or something like that is I remember correctly.

And the scoped G3 offers other advantages such as a very capable system at range.
IMO more so then the FAL.

KJ sends..

Now this thread is simple, you or your military unit is deployed to a central African nation for example, the Northern portion is Sub Saharan, hot dry and extremely arid.

The south of the same country is running into rainforest, wet, humid and very damp.

In such a varied terrain, I would still choose an AK. They might not be quite as accurate as an FN-FAL or an G3, but they're much less prone to failures when used in rough conditions or by poorly trained soldiers.

For those wondering why I never posted a exact dot on the map, is because I did not want point out or exploit a current brush conflict or recent one for the purposes of this thread.

Or look like I am posing in anyway.

Just asking a quick survey like question.

This thread went almost parallel to my expectations.

It would genereally boil down to this, and Hk G3 an FN FAL or AK 47 or AKM lying in front of you with a corresponding box of shells on a table.

Sure there are different cartrigages and modified versions of each and for each weapon.

But certian weapons are asossicated with an area or time period in the word for a reason. And 9 times out of 10, those reasons make sense.

In such a varied terrain, I would still choose an AK. They might not be quite as accurate as an FN-FAL or an G3, but they're much less prone to failures when used in rough conditions or by poorly trained soldiers.

True, to the locals an AK would be the best fit...However, this thread was about what you would choose.
I´m hoping here that you are not refering to yourself as a "poorly trained soldier"?

To the original thread starter.
That there are a few more common weapos in a specific AOO doesn´t mean that THAT particular weapon is the best match for that area.
It means that THAT weapon and ammo to go with it is in abundance in that particular area.
This can be because that was available when the superpowers decided to arm that particular region.
Thus flooding the AOO with them.
Now we play catch up, and use what works now depending on older "sins".

I submit that weapons selections are more often based on:

1 Accuracy and ease in usage. (What gives you an edge if weapons will actually have to get used)
2 What weapon you are comfortable with. (personal preference)
3 Ammunitions supply. (for prolonged missions)
4 Interchangable parts. (likewise)

KJ sends...

True, to the locals an AK would be the best fit...However, this thread was about what you would choose.
I´m hoping here that you are not refering to yourself as a "poorly trained soldier"?

To the original thread starter.
That there are a few more common weapos in a specific AOO doesn´t mean that THAT particular weapon is the best match for that area.
It means that THAT weapon and ammo to go with it is in abundance in that particular area.
This can be because that was available when the superpowers decided to arm that particular region.
Thus flooding the AOO with them.
Now we play catch up, and use what works now depending on older "sins".

I submit that weapons selections are more often based on:

1 Accuracy and ease in usage. (What gives you an edge if weapons will actually have to get used)
2 What weapon you are comfortable with. (personal preference)
3 Ammunitions supply. (for prolonged missions)
4 Interchangable parts. (likewise)

KJ sends...

My mind was set along those line, but I made the thread for insight such as that.

The sins of our fathers put allot of the ammuntion and weapons there, but your right, it's the simple factors like you listed that will ultimately influence anyone's desicion.

Back