Your view on the Terri Schiavo case - Page 6

--
Boots

May 1st, 2005  
Strongbow

Ok, thats good to know.

Sorry to hear about your Brother's history. I don't know how your family has stood up to that sort of worry and pressure.
May 1st, 2005  
Charge 7

Thank you Strongbow. I appreciate that alot.

All I could think of during the Terri Shiavo case was "what if my brother's wife had still been around when he was on the ventilator?" and I thanked God they were divorced. His ex is such a self-centered person I'm fairly certain she'd have pulled the plug.

I and my four siblings represent the national statistics for marriage - three divorces and two that have endured for decades. I've been blessed with another chance and it looks like my sister may be too. Our brother never will again. That's just one of many things he's lost. He's fortunate though to have children who love him and look forward to seeing him in the home he lives in now. His eldest has grown up a great deal for her scant 13 years. I'm hugely proud of her.

The prognosis is that my brother will continue to improve - how much can't be known. He'll never be 100% again that's certain, but he could do much better. Certainly the will is there. He talks about wanting to drive his car again (a nice sports car) everytime I visit him. He's gotten past using the walker now to get around and can walk for short stretches with a cane - this after we were told he'd never walk again. My sister told me not to tell him that but I did anyway and I reminded him that doctors had told our father the same thing after his wounds from WWII. You should have seen the fire in his eyes! A look passed between us that said quite clearly I had said exactly the right thing.
May 1st, 2005  
rkmac48

According to the liberals who insisted apon her demise, she was "euphoric" as she was starving to death. They said it was the most peaceful and happy she'd been in fifteen years.
--
Boots
May 2nd, 2005  
MadeInChina

i would think being dead is better than being a plant, same as any girls would die in gas chambers than being a jap sex slave

just my 2 cents
May 2nd, 2005  
Redleg

I will let this thread continue, but I would advice everyone to be very careful about your replies in general since this is a very sensitive issue.

thanks.
May 2nd, 2005  
godofthunder9010

The trouble with these sorts of cases is that there is no way to know whether the person who is comotose is every going to wake up or not, whether the person with the legal rights is a filthy bastard or not. There is an endless list of cases that I've encountered that are like Charge7: the experts said your loved could never ever wake up, 0% chance, etc, etc. Then the person wakes up anyways. Charge7's family's experience is not unique on that score.

So how do you make policy on a matter where the experts have been proven wrong too many times to count?
May 2nd, 2005  
Charge 7

My .02

I think that a human life is too weighty a choice for anyone to make the decision of other than the individual. All people should be encouraged to make living wills at say, about the time you get your driver's licence. If a person has no living will then the decision should always be for life - the spouse and family both having no say. It's too much for anybody other than the individual to be saddled with that kind of choice. I know for my own family we agonized over it a great deal. In the end we decided that our brother's soul came here without our intervention and so it would have to leave this world without it too and we prayed that he would be returned to us. We aren't overly religious people - none of us are frequent church-goers, but we all believe in a supreme being. Without our brother having made the choice, it could only be God's.
July 29th, 2005  
AikiRooster

Topic: Husband is a ????????!

I think the hussband is a and had alot to do with her death. No way do I trust that guy and I think he's in a similar boat as O.J.Simpson. They both got away with killing there wives I think.
July 29th, 2005  
Young Winston

Topic: Re: Husband is a ????????!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Rooster
I think the hussband is a and had alot to do with her death. No way do I trust that guy and I think he's in a similar boat as O.J.Simpson. They both got away with killing there wives I think.
August 19th, 2005  
LeEnfield

The thing one should look at is the quality of life. Would you like to just lay there year in and year out with out being able to communicate your thoughts or needs. With modern medicine and modern surgical equipment they can keep people alive for countless years. A few years back nature would have taken these people a long time ago, are we keeping them alive because we can, should any one in hospital that is on their way out be connected to this equipment to keep them alive in vegetative state, if it can be done for one then why not every one. Lets face it if you kept an animal like that you would have all sorts of protesters around telling you just how wrong you are. Personally if I got that state I wish some one would come along with a needle and put me to sleep just like my old dogs. Just small injection and you have gone in about 5 seconds