Your Units History

CanadianCombat

Give us a brief history of a military unit that you belong to that was been involved in ww1 or ww2.

My units history:

The regiment originated on 3 September 1912 when the 88th Regiment, Victoria Fusiliers was authorised. The current unit is the product of an amalgamation of the 50th Regiment and the Victoria Fusiliers.

Since its early beginnings, the Regiment has had a high standard of conduct on the battlefield. It has also been commanded by some of Canada's outstanding soldiers. One such was Lieutenant General Sir Arthur Currie, KCMG, who rose to command the Canadian Corps during WW1. Currie was a master tactician whose skills led the Canadians to victory at Vimy Ridge and Amiens. In addition, four members of the regiment have won the Victoria Cross. This is the Commonwealth's highest award for valour in the face of battle.

The Scottish set out for WW2 after their training ended in August 1941 in Debert NS. On 6 June 1944 1Bn C Coy was in the first wave to step ashore in Normandy, the rest of the Bn following in the second wave. 1Bn C Scot R proceeded to advance a total of six miles - farther than any other assault brigade of the British Second Army that day. The regiment went on to earn 17 Battle Honours, including the liberation of Wagenborgen, a small Dutch village.

Well, my pop was in 95th divison during 1942 to 1944. My two great uncles was WW2 veterans. But they never told me what group they was in.

One, great- great grandad .... took part in both balkan wars and ww1 im not sure but i think he was the 17th balkanski polk (polk = regiment)

One unit I was with...

Let me see, the first unit I with was the 4th ID. It fought in WWI in the Aisne-Marne Operation, the Vesle Sector (Champagne), occupied the Toulon Sector (Loraine), St-Mihiel Operation, and the Muese-Argonne Operation.

In WWII they came ashore at Utah Beach on D-Day, St.Mere Eglise, Crisbecq and Azeville, Joganville, occupied Cherborg, St. Pois, participated in the liberation of Paris, Muese and Biever Rivers, Siegfried Line at the Schnee Eifel ridge, Huertgen Forrest (had an uncle that lost an eye to a sniper here), The Battle of the Bulge, Fuhren, the Siegfried Line, crossed the Rhine River into Germany, crossed the Danube into the Miesbach-Gustieg area and was relieved by the 101st Airborne Division.

During my time with the division, it served in Vietnam. The division fought in there through December 1970, earning eleven campaign streamers for its colors in 5 years. But that's a whole other story.

That's the fifty cent tour.

http://www.army.mil/CMH/matrix/4ID/4ID-WSvc.htm

http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18959

I started a thread on this which gives some good info.

I bought this book at about half price. These are heavy textbooks used by Military Universities and Collages and are really worth the price.

*AIR DEFENSE ARTILLERY, comp. Janice E. McKenney. (1985, 2000; 429 pp., color illustrations, glossary). CMH Pub 60-5, paper.

Last edited:
My dad was in Argyle and Sutherland Higherlanders. You know those of the thin red line fame.

Have Royal Marines in family history too.

My grandfather(mothers side) was in the 16th lancers and served continuously in France and Flanders,one of the last British cavalrymen to fight on horseback and to show its innefectiveness in modern warfare.
My father was in the 3rd gurkha rifles.Although he never saw action himself and met my mother as a civilian later in life(no mean feat for a Nepali native to successfuly emigrate to U.K.) I dont need to mention this regiments exploits as there is too much for me to write.
I,m lucky I got my height (6ft 2in)from my grandfather.(sorry dad only joking).
I am a keen mountaineer and horserider.Thats genetics for you.

Back