Your thoughts on the modern militia...

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
There is no subject more spoken about secertly than the modern militia. I'm not talking about the National Guard or Reserve Forces. I'm talking about armed civilians. Training, arming, and equipping themselves with all the modern items of war and conflict. Do you think that they have a purpose in today's society and do you think tht the government should...

A) Crack down on these groups

or

B) Encourage these groups

I believe that these groups should exist. Armed civilians can protect themselves and others during situtations when the government cannot. Such as the major SANFU in New Orleans after the hurricane. Also, it's written in the US Legal COde and the Bill of Rghts that the civilians populace has the right to bear arms has a un-regulated militia. What is the Un-Regulated Militia you ask? Well, it's everyone between the ages of 18-55 not in government service. If you're not in uniform of the Department of Defense, Reverse Forces, or National Guard; than you are in the Un-Regulated Militia.

Armed civilians can protect themselves and others during situtations when the government cannot. Such as the major SANFU in New Orleans after the hurricane.

Uh il pass. Citizens deserve the right to protect there homes by any means necessary.

However, militas did form in New Orleans, they used there superious fire-power to rape, loot and destroy there fellow citizens. I mean even if they were other miliars in your scenario so called (good militas) versus the people that formed into armed gangs the (bad militas) not only do you form a disaster area, youve created a war-zone.

I have a feeling you wouldnt stop at AR-15s and AK-47s youd want the good militas to have Javelins, Stingers and other advanced weapons. Doesnt that paint a pretty picture.

I'll pass on the militia as well.

IMO, the main problem with these groups is the lack of regulation and proper training.

There's a reason why people don't just join up straight away into the defence force/national guard/reserves, but instead head firstly to training. They have to be trained to deal with the situations, to recognise the limits and duties of defence and to understand what is, and what isn't legal.

I doubt that all militias would receive thorough training in the above areas.

Also, defence forces are actually accountable for their actions. Conversely, not all militias are.

In summary, I would be very wary of semi-trained, non-professionals wielding weapons and attempting to 'restore order'.

When I was in the Indiana National Guard they (the US government) were so concerned about armed militias that among other reasons they formed a seperate unit of strack soldiers who would confront their fellow armed citizens should the need arise. I know this was one of the reasons because it was one of the questions asked in the interview process when I applied for it in 1992. The 76th SID (Special Infantry Division or Detachment can't recall now what the D was exactly). But I was asked if I could carry out my duty if the enemy I faced were my fellow citizens armed and banded together as militias. The Michigan Militia was all over the news in the 90's and viewed as an internal enemy. In fact Timothy McVeigh and his accomplices had direct links to this and other armed militias. They are not to be encouraged in my opinion.

Citizens will slowly but inevitably lose more and more of their rights to the government. Look at the 'small government' Republican majority in America right now. If this is as good as it gets for small government imagine what happens when it's big government time!

Government doesn't like a challenge so it doesn't like someone who has anything more than a pistol or a small hunting rifel to challenge its authority.

If you ask me what I really think? I think each state should have its own millitias. The federal government should be AFRAID of millitias to keep it in line. How it's going to work in the real world though. In the next 100 years we'll just see more and more government control and less and less personal independence... ESPECIALLY with respect to trained and equiped citizen-soldiers.

I am not concerned about these people as long as they stick to the law and are not about to harm people recklessly. I mean, if it is some friends getting together for some practice at the range and do what they enjoy doing - let them keep on doing it, but groups with extreme political desires and plans should be cracked down

I surly remember the The Michigan Militia - it was on the news here in Norway as well and those news did cast some light on the Norwegian Stay Behind units.

mean, if it is some friends getting together for some practice at the range and do what they enjoy doing - let them keep on doing it

Well, that's not a militia ;)

Citizens will slowly but inevitably lose more and more of their rights to the government.

Why is it inevitable?

The federal government should be AFRAID of millitias to keep it in line.

I'm curious now; could you explain the logic behind that? I agree that the government's power should be checked but do you think using people who may, or may not operate within legal frameworks is the way forward?

What i think hes saying is, if you have state militas the government wont abuse its power because there scared of that nasty R word called rveloution.

Italian Guy said:
I pick B, the law recognizes that right, then as long as they act within the Constitution it's fine for me.

sunb! said:
The Norwegian Stay Behind units.

We had it too. Thank God we did.

The Italian Units are covered in a book I'm reading on Stay Behind units and organization, very interesting material on how things were organized and how people thought (and maybe are thinking) about external and iternal threats to their country in modern time.

sunb! said:
Italian Guy said:
I pick B, the law recognizes that right, then as long as they act within the Constitution it's fine for me.

sunb! said:
The Norwegian Stay Behind units.

We had it too. Thank God we did.

The Italian Units are covered in the book I'm reading, very interesting material on how things were organized and how people thought (and maybe are thinking) about external and iternal threats to their country.

Yeah. You know they were secret but perfectly legal.

The Militia is legally allowed under current law. It's looked at by law enforcement and government types uneasily. But it is legal. Now, what they can't do is actually insight riots or revoluntion. But they can gather and train. Following state and federal law. If your state doesn't allowing the ownership of a AR-15 rifle, than you use what is allowed. Like a M44 Mosin Nagant or SKS Carbine. I think that well minded people that wish to protect and help others should be encouraged. The Militia is viewed bad by today's press. And that's mostly because of what the Militia stands for. Gun Ownership and Self Thinking.

Many a person, inculding myself have been looking into the whole militia thing for awhile. ANd I even wish to talk with my local government (City Mayor) about this. If a group of people, with medical training and self defense training and form a group. And be deployed if something like a major hurricane hits South Florida again. Than maybe they can help protect those that need it and alos just help out in food and water disturbution.

The Government can't stop citizens from forming groups and training as long as they aren't planning a violent overthrow of the Government. We've all seen/read about/heard about coups and they won't work in these modern times. I would like to see self regulated, non-political, non-religious groups formed all over America. I also wouldn't mind if these people were ex service people so the training could be cut to a minimum.
They could loosely be attached to an agency such as a real homeland security consisting of citizen leadership so in case of an emergency in California, a Wisconsin group wouldn't go running to the problem area.

Diversified forces are impossible to round up in a large Country and defeat in a short time without heavy casualties on the enemy. Of course, retirees such as command personnel need to handle logistics, military armorys and heavy equipment but each militiaman would keep a personal firearm(s) and one year of ammunition along with good old C, K, rations.

I don't like militias, they make me nervous.

1. As somebody said they lack training many of these guys tend to be more wannabes than the real deal. I think we all can agree that playing soldier in the woods is not the same thing as being one.

2. Some of the anti-government rhetoric (be it a republican or democrat) I have heard from them borders paranoia...

3. Both federal and local law enforcement dislike them. Indeed Some of the militia walk a narrow legal tightrope. A few have been caught going over that line, Tim McVeigh for example...

4. There is no control over them. All law enforcement or military organizations have some sort of authority to keep them in line. Militas are independent. What happens if they decide to take things into their own hands?

5. Some (although not all) have close or ties relations with truely detestable hate groups such as Aryan Nation, Christian Identity, and various other Neo-Nazi groups. At the vary least, these viewpoints are tolerated with certain groups. Some militias don't espouse racist viewpoints but many do, And members drift between the militia/racist/survivalist groups easily...

So to summerize. We have a group of extremely well armed people many of which harbor a resentment (and even paranoia) of government and sometimes minority groups without any sort of control or supervision.

Legally their existance is not illegal (for the moment at least). However they make people nervous. Fortunatly the tradegy at Oklahoma City put the movement into a decline.

My .02 cents

^^^

Ditto.

And then giving them legal ablity to act in times of disaster, not my idea of a good idea.

An Aryan nation group in New Orleans, boy wouldnt that of been a pretty site.

Why is it that when the word militia is said. People automatically think of racist groups like the KKK or the Aryan nation. I'm talking about real militias not these damn racist groups.

5.56X45mm said:
Why is it that when the word militia is said. People automatically think of racist groups like the KKK or the Aryan nation. I'm talking about real militias not these damn racist groups.

I don't know but it's a darn good thing General Washington didn't have any qualms about using them. Same people, same situation.

It wouldn't be hard to weed out the nutballs.

Back