Your thoughts on the modern militia... - Page 2

--

October 11th, 2005  
Rabs

What i think hes saying is, if you have state militas the government wont abuse its power because there scared of that nasty R word called rveloution.
October 11th, 2005  
Italian Guy

I pick B, the law recognizes that right, then as long as they act within the Constitution it's fine for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunb!
The Norwegian Stay Behind units.
We had it too. Thank God we did.
October 11th, 2005  
sunb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Guy
I pick B, the law recognizes that right, then as long as they act within the Constitution it's fine for me.

Quote:
The Italian Units are covered in a book I'm reading on Stay Behind units and organization, very interesting material on how things were organized and how people thought (and maybe are thinking) about external and iternal threats to their country in modern time.
--
October 11th, 2005  
Italian Guy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Guy

Quote:
The Italian Units are covered in the book I'm reading, very interesting material on how things were organized and how people thought (and maybe are thinking) about external and iternal threats to their country.
Yeah. You know they were secret but perfectly legal.
October 11th, 2005  
5.56X45mm

The Militia is legally allowed under current law. It's looked at by law enforcement and government types uneasily. But it is legal. Now, what they can't do is actually insight riots or revoluntion. But they can gather and train. Following state and federal law. If your state doesn't allowing the ownership of a AR-15 rifle, than you use what is allowed. Like a M44 Mosin Nagant or SKS Carbine. I think that well minded people that wish to protect and help others should be encouraged. The Militia is viewed bad by today's press. And that's mostly because of what the Militia stands for. Gun Ownership and Self Thinking.

Many a person, inculding myself have been looking into the whole militia thing for awhile. ANd I even wish to talk with my local government (City Mayor) about this. If a group of people, with medical training and self defense training and form a group. And be deployed if something like a major hurricane hits South Florida again. Than maybe they can help protect those that need it and alos just help out in food and water disturbution.
October 11th, 2005  
Missileer

The Government can't stop citizens from forming groups and training as long as they aren't planning a violent overthrow of the Government. We've all seen/read about/heard about coups and they won't work in these modern times. I would like to see self regulated, non-political, non-religious groups formed all over America. I also wouldn't mind if these people were ex service people so the training could be cut to a minimum.
They could loosely be attached to an agency such as a real homeland security consisting of citizen leadership so in case of an emergency in California, a Wisconsin group wouldn't go running to the problem area.

Diversified forces are impossible to round up in a large Country and defeat in a short time without heavy casualties on the enemy. Of course, retirees such as command personnel need to handle logistics, military armorys and heavy equipment but each militiaman would keep a personal firearm(s) and one year of ammunition along with good old C, K, rations.
October 11th, 2005  
mmarsh

I don't like militias, they make me nervous.

1. As somebody said they lack training many of these guys tend to be more wannabes than the real deal. I think we all can agree that playing soldier in the woods is not the same thing as being one.

2. Some of the anti-government rhetoric (be it a republican or democrat) I have heard from them borders paranoia...

3. Both federal and local law enforcement dislike them. Indeed Some of the militia walk a narrow legal tightrope. A few have been caught going over that line, Tim McVeigh for example...

4. There is no control over them. All law enforcement or military organizations have some sort of authority to keep them in line. Militas are independent. What happens if they decide to take things into their own hands?

5. Some (although not all) have close or ties relations with truely detestable hate groups such as Aryan Nation, Christian Identity, and various other Neo-Nazi groups. At the vary least, these viewpoints are tolerated with certain groups. Some militias don't espouse racist viewpoints but many do, And members drift between the militia/racist/survivalist groups easily...

So to summerize. We have a group of extremely well armed people many of which harbor a resentment (and even paranoia) of government and sometimes minority groups without any sort of control or supervision.

Legally their existance is not illegal (for the moment at least). However they make people nervous. Fortunatly the tradegy at Oklahoma City put the movement into a decline.

My .02 cents
October 11th, 2005  
Rabs

^^^

Ditto.

And then giving them legal ablity to act in times of disaster, not my idea of a good idea.

An Aryan nation group in New Orleans, boy wouldnt that of been a pretty site.
October 11th, 2005  
5.56X45mm

Why is it that when the word militia is said. People automatically think of racist groups like the KKK or the Aryan nation. I'm talking about real militias not these damn racist groups.
October 11th, 2005  
Missileer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56X45mm
Why is it that when the word militia is said. People automatically think of racist groups like the KKK or the Aryan nation. I'm talking about real militias not these damn racist groups.
I don't know but it's a darn good thing General Washington didn't have any qualms about using them. Same people, same situation.

It wouldn't be hard to weed out the nutballs.