Your thoughts on the conviction of Anders Behring Breivik?

hawky94

The Brit Pack (probationer)
Hi all,

As some of you will probably know, Anders Behring Breivik (the man who committed heinous acts of senseless murder in Norway, on July 22nd, 2011.) has today been sentenced to 21 years in jail, minus the 445 days that he spent in custody, so, call it 20 years.

Now, I don't know how the Norwegian judicial system works - although I do know that capital punishment is not allowed. I do believe that a term of 'life' would be more appropriate in this case, given the crimes committed.

I feel that 20 years is far too lenient. As, probably, do the families of those who were killed. This man murdered children on the island of Uteoya, as well as setting off a massive car bomb in Oslo, which killed several, and injured hundreds.

What are your thoughts on this case and its verdict? Does the Norwegian system work? Does it need re-vamping? (I would not go so far as to say that if it does need a re-vamp, it should definitely not include capital punishment, look at the good that did in the States - hasn't made a blind bit of difference.)

Let the discussion commence!

Hawky.

Hi all,

As some of you will probably know, Anders Behring Breivik (the man who committed heinous acts of senseless murder in Norway, on July 22nd, 2011.) has today been sentenced to 21 years in jail, minus the 445 days that he spent in custody, so, call it 20 years.

Now, I don't know how the Norwegian judicial system works - although I do know that capital punishment is not allowed. I do believe that a term of 'life' would be more appropriate in this case, given the crimes committed.

I feel that 20 years is far too lenient. As, probably, do the families of those who were killed. This man murdered children on the island of Uteoya, as well as setting off a massive car bomb in Oslo, which killed several, and injured hundreds.

What are your thoughts on this case and its verdict? Does the Norwegian system work? Does it need re-vamping? (I would not go so far as to say that if it does need a re-vamp, it should definitely not include capital punishment, look at the good that did in the States - hasn't made a blind bit of difference.)

Let the discussion commence!

Hawky.

I agree, life should mean exactly that. All too often bleeding hearts bleat about the poor misunderstood criminal rather then the victims. I remember the blithering idiot Lord Longford campaigning for the release of the moors murderer Myra Hindley, saying "She has changed and needs to be released." What the hell do these people have for brains??? In actual fact I wish she had been released, because in less then 24 hours she would have paid the price she should have paid.

I agree, life should mean exactly that. All too often bleeding hearts bleat about the poor misunderstood criminal rather then the victims. I remember the blithering idiot Lord Longford campaigning for the release of the moors murderer Myra Hindley, saying "She has changed and needs to be released." What the hell do these people have for brains??? In actual fact I wish she had been released, because in less then 24 hours she would have paid the price she should have paid.

The sick b*stard was smiling when his sentence was read out. In 20 years, he'll be only 53, and more than capable of once again pursuing his beliefs, perhaps with similar radical acts of violence. I hope his 20-year stint in prison changes him, but, I fear not.

Having researched the man - and indeed read some of his manifesto which he created, I do not think that there is any way to provide rehabilitation or help to this individual. When he's released, he'll still be the same man and then what?

I think that 21 years inside will give him plenty of time to reflect on his past decisions.

I know, it does seem inadequate when the number of victims are taken into account, but I suppose there has to be a limit to everything. If they were to execute him, it would not make me feel any better if they were to execute him 77 times?

My main objection is, that it will now cost Norwegian taxpayers many millions of dollars to clothe, house and feed him over the course of his sentence. I feel that that is the real travesty of justice here.

A bit off topic but this has me thinking. Im surprised that in the financial state America is in they arent getting rid of the prisoners who will never be let out of prison.

21 years is unfortunately the maximum here in Norway..... :?
But it is possible to be sentenced to more then that after 21 years under certain conditions.

I found an article explaining that here, related to the ABB case:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...rs-Breivik-cannot-get-more-than-21-years.html

So hopefully he'll spend quite a lot more then 21 years in prison, but I really don't think he'll last long IF he gets released 20 years from now on...

I am sad to admit it, but I think the world would be a better place without a spirit like this lingering here. I believe it is a slap in the face to the families of those that lost loved ones to know this man will serve 20 years and then be freed. This man is not a spirit to keep here in our world, it would be best to put a bullet in his head and let whatever power is in this afterlife sort out his punishment.

This is my take- It has been decided by the courts, so we have to respect that. I would say that this view of mine is rather lenient, coming from a country where we hang people for this sort of thing- mind you, temporary insanity don't cut it where I come from...

On further reflection, I wonder sometimes if we are more sympathetic towards the perpetrator than we are towards the victims. So they jail this guy, and knowing the correctional system they have there is more like a resort than a prison. I also sometimes wonder whether it is a matter of time the prisoners will form a union there...

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not recall at any time, this son of a sea cockroach, showed any remorse for what he did. In my humble opinion, the law has to take a look at the sufferings of the families of the victims before deciding a sort of punishment.

If you ask me, they should sent him to Cambodia or Vietnam to clear those minefield, as part of community service...

21 years is unfortunately the maximum here in Norway..... :?
But it is possible to be sentenced to more then that after 21 years under certain conditions.

I found an article explaining that here, related to the ABB case:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...rs-Breivik-cannot-get-more-than-21-years.html

So hopefully he'll spend quite a lot more then 21 years in prison, but I really don't think he'll last long IF he gets released 20 years from now on...

To be honest Redleg, I hope the bastard gets taken out, either in prison or on his release.

Back