Your program discipline

survivalist31

Im just wondering what the discipline is like in your program. We have had some really poor discipline for the past couple of years because our old Sergent got fired and our new one was learning the ropes but he plans on changing all that next year. I hope it works

Survivalist31

Yea tell me about it, we just got a new instructor this year, our old one retired, and the new one just got in from the fleet. It took some time for him to adjust from the stricter attitude of active duty to "us".

But cadets in my unit are sometimes hard to deal with, only the cadets that are trying will coincide with the cadet staff, and fear punishment for screwing around. But in this day and age society in America seems to have a surplus of kids who say "I don't care" all the time, and unfortunately I think one of the biggest problems with any JROTC unit like this, is that unlike the U.S. military we don't have the UCMJ to back every thing up. Problem cadets who don't fear school punishment and who have grown up with submissive or no parents are killing my unit's discipline. Drug use is also a problem.

Having said individuals on teams is also a bad thing, our unit is small, real small, and if we kick to many cadets out for bad moral character and work ethic, then the Navy will put us on probation for 2 years till we pick our numbers back up, thats coupled with the fact that we are taking in less and less NS1s every year, our future isn't pretty, and trying to find a answer for these problems is something that has been eluding me for three years now.

I get where your coming from .In my program the cadet's who are in positions of authority would rather goof off or discipline the cadets who actually put effort in . I am a perfect example i got a 341 for excessive cursing from our operations commander and i had to go in front of the group commander to see if i could get rid of it when there are like 20 cadets in the hall all telling each other to go f*ck themselves and calling each other s*it heads while im trying to get rid of my 341 for exesive cursing i was like wtf what about them. They didn't get any reprimands and my 341 is still there. Also our drill team is pathetic we started the year with about 10 cadets and now it has fallen apart i was one of the 3 cadets that actually showed up for the last months worth of practices,but our sarge is planning on blocking about 50 or so cadets from returning next year and he is plaining on strickly controling who cna get into the prgram and making it manditorty to join either color gaurd, eagle gaurd, or drill team.

Same with problem faced with our drill team. In my unit the drill team is like a package, consisting of color guard, athletics, academics,both basic and exhibition drill. That's a total of about 30-35 cadets total. It's not uncommon for many cadets to be members of multiple teams at one time, like me for instance, I was a special case, being on 4 teams at once, meant I went directly from one competion another immediately on drill meets.

It's tough, because sometimes we would have only 20 cadets at a drill practice 2 weeks before a drill meet. Which are about 18 hours long, or over night on average in length. Having people who just don't show, makes things hard. If you want to be good together, then you must train together, thats just how it works. And we didn't and our performance shows.

Our drill team and Jrotc is doing O.K the big problem is Drama. Man if that word had never been in vocabulary we would be great and our second special word incompetence or laziness take your pick. I mean ya i don't study the manual but i remember it there cadets who've taken a full year but still forget simple things we had a 3 year cadet who took 2 and a half or more years to just learn the second general order. which i don't know who has what but we have only 3 and the second is really easy. i mean they don't care and i get yelled at when i yell at them to try and care.

Our drill team and Jrotc is doing O.K the big problem is Drama. Man if that word had never been in vocabulary we would be great and our second special word incompetence or laziness take your pick. I mean ya i don't study the manual but i remember it there cadets who've taken a full year but still forget simple things we had a 3 year cadet who took 2 and a half or more years to just learn the second general order. which i don't know who has what but we have only 3 and the second is really easy. i mean they don't care and i get yelled at when i yell at them to try and care.

We have eleven, and as a squad leader for the past 2 years, both as a NCO and this last year as a SNCO, I have taken it upon myself to be my personal duty to insure that everyone in my squad knows the Generel Orders, because believe or not sometimes we use them. In the absence of a higher body (staff members of instructor) you basically follow your GOs.

But I also have the burden of dealing with cadets who on the last uniform day of the year still cannot recite their GO's or their chain of command. How can I even begin to move on to the enlisted rate and rank structure of the Navy/Marine Corps if they can't even tell me who the secretary of defense is?

It's frustrating, but I have to keep trying, being a Cadet SNCO, means well, that blame rolls down hill, and If I don't do my job I may loose it, there are always replacements, and it has been done before in my unit.

I guess i have to just keep trying and hope that eventually something will kick in or maybe somehow i can motivate them enough to learn what they need.

Yep, we burn the fat off our souls for the masses, lol! I am experimenting on ways to motivate the unwilling, I will have to wait until our NS 1 orientation this summer to see how effective they are, I will keep you posted.:camo:

Alright lol Well i wish you luck, as for me i think the old drill instructor approach will have to due if kindness doesn't work first:drill:

The discipline in my program changes with the cadet leadership. If the battalion commander likes to goof off than all the other cadets will follow his example.

Back