Your opinion about war on Iraq? - Page 9

--
Boots

January 30th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
"as far as fighting "an idealogy of hate" how is that being achieved so far?"

Not mentioning anything else, by the first free elections held in Iraq in 50 years. They are going quite well too.

You can keep going on with your mantra about the link between Saddam and 9/11 not being proven all you want. It's simply not so. The link between Saddam's scamming the "Oil for Food" program to fund terrorists _has_ been proven.

"through out the 1990s iraq was well in hand"

Yeah an iron hand that strangled its own people.
the elections won't be accepted..."puppets of the overlord americans"
yada yada yada
i want iraq to be peaceful...but the isn't enough of a balance... the US is TOO involved, other countries should be involved now but because we were alienated us in the first palce the attitude is that the US can clean up their own mess, and it's a shame.

cool, oil for food...were is the link to 9/11? that money was being shunted off to the families of palestinian suicide bombers. not to al quida

as for the iron hand comment, i was replying to the comment that iraq was a threat to it neighbours and the US. ie the US invaded iraq to protect itself... all through the 1990's the US enforced the no fly zone, monitored what went in and out of iraq, the UN imposed crippling sanctions...and it was these factors that gave rise to "oil for food", so who was supposed to be monitoring that the money was indeed spent on food and medicine
January 30th, 2005  
03USMC

Alienated my fourth point of contact. The opportunity was there when the balloon went up, before the balloon went up. The Countries that didn't want anything to do with the war didn't go and now certain nations want to be part of the peace process. Gimmie a break.
January 30th, 2005  
Charge 7

You can say the elections won't be accepted, and by certain factions that's quite true, but the majority of the people _want_ these elections. Watch the news. You'll see them coming in as groups like a celebration (which to them it is) to vote. The elections will succeed. There's little doubt of that.

"so who was supposed to be monitoring that the money was indeed spent on food and medicine"

The UN. Ask Kofi Anon how that's playing out for him and his son.
--
Boots
January 30th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Alienated my fourth point of contact. The opportunity was there when the balloon went up, before the balloon went up. The Countries that didn't want anything to do with the war didn't go and now certain nations want to be part of the peace process. Gimmie a break.
when the balloon went up? do you mean 9/11 or iraq? if you meant 9/11 then a real coalition of countries deployed to afghanistan because it was seen as justifiable.

if you meant iraq there was serious doubts about the reasons for invasion even right from the start. but now it's been done iraq needs to be stabilised ASAP. but the US has chucked it's toys out of the crib and said nope you can't help now becasue you would help us at the start.

Quote:
"so who was supposed to be monitoring that the money was indeed spent on food and medicine"

The UN. Ask Kofi Anon how that's playing out for him and his son.
well...as far as kofi annan goes....he is resposible for the US's opinion of the UN. and he and his son deserve everything they get. i don't know how annan got to the top after his involvement with the rwanda massacre/genocide
January 30th, 2005  
03USMC

Had I meant Operation Enduring Freedom I would have said OEF. But since the Topic is OIF that's what I was refering too. IMO the countries that are offering assistance in the Peace Process are the typical fair weather allies. "Once you and the UK and a few other nations get the majority of the bad guys sorted out we'll help in the peace process." and get our contractors in there too.

Then they get surprised when they get told to take a flyin leap.
January 30th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
You can say the elections won't be accepted, and by certain factions that's quite true, but the majority of the people _want_ these elections. Watch the news. You'll see them coming in as groups like a celebration (which to them it is) to vote. The elections will succeed. There's little doubt of that.
i know the ordinary iraqis want these elections, the want peace. once there is peace then the US will leave and everyone can get on with things. but....and it's a big one... it's the ordinary people who will pay the price when one faction or another raises holy hell because it's an "american puppet" in power.

Quote:
Had I meant Operation Enduring Freedom I would have said OEF. But since the Topic is OIF that's what I was refering too. IMO the countries that are offering assistance in the Peace Process are the typical fair weather allies. "Once you and the UK and a few other nations get the majority of the bad guys sorted out we'll help in the peace process." and get our contractors in there too.

Then they get surprised when they get told to take a flyin leap.
lol i love US code names...."operation cute fluffy kitten" operation do you like cake" etc.

but i digress, even if they were "fair weather allies" (ie independant countries that have the right to do what they want) wouldn't their assistance help speed up the process or make it more complete/acceptable to all parties?
January 31st, 2005  
Charge 7

You can say "American puppet" all you want, but we didn't pick the candidates. The Iraqis did - their election - not our's. If they chose them, how can it be a puppet? It would be a puppet if we said, "Here's your leaders now do what they say".
January 31st, 2005  
03USMC

But why do they want a piece of the pie now? Do you think the countries who commited troops to the action should give a rats what a bunch of Johnny I'm here for the rebuilding contracts think on whether it is fair and acceptable. I don't.

As far as your love of our Operational Names I can think of a few.
January 31st, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
You can say "American puppet" all you want, but we didn't pick the candidates. The Iraqis did - their election - not our's. If they chose them, how can it be a puppet? It would be a puppet if we said, "Here's your leaders now do what they say".
my quotation marks were meant to imply that these weren't my words...sorry for any confusion. who ever gets elected is going to be seen as a puppet by the insurgents.

Quote:
As far as your love of our Operational Names I can think of a few.
like what? *not trying to wind you up...just curious.

and just so you know i'm not blowing smoke...kiwi's in afghanistan;
January 31st, 2005  
Missileer

My opinion on the war in Iraq? Hmmm! Let's see, now there are two extremely strong Democracies in the Middle East. Capable of effecting change for the first time in many bloody years. All it takes is a taste of freedom. Israel and the new Iraq may not be the best of buddies,yet, but at least they are similar Governments and will be a force of change in the future. Now isn't that better than a bloody dictatorship.