Your opinion about war on Iraq? - Page 2

--
Boots

January 29th, 2005  
Charge 7

It's not safe, but it's a good deal safer.

Sure we're asking for help from the UN. We asked before we went to Iraq but time ran out before we had to take action or suffer the serious consequences of terrorist actions. Time is not a factor so much now in _continuing_ to seek aid from the UN.
January 29th, 2005  
rotc boy

i think the war is for a good reason and that if we didnt do this now, it would happen in a few years. And the president that invaded would be dealing with the same people who are complaining about it now
its only that Bush was the first one to decide that this problem needs to be delt with.
January 29th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charge_7
So you should wait for UN approval to protect your country? I don't think so. I doubt you would either if you really thought about it.
what threat did iraq pose to the US again? considering that saddam was activly denieing use of iraq by al qeada ( as they were a threat to saddams rule )
no WMD's, hardly any ability to attack outside of it's own borders.
yes saddam was a bad man...but you forget that he was a bad man before he invaded kuwait...and he was a bad man with US assistance. didn't seem to be a problem then

faulty intelligence, dragging your friends and allies into the mess the US created, suspect motives and the most divisive US president in history...that's the threat to your country.
--
Boots
January 29th, 2005  
Charge 7

Uh, I haven't forgotten a damn thing. Whether or not WMDs were found is a moot point. As someone else pointed out there is a rumour that they were moved to Syria and supposedly a Syrian officer is the one who started the rumour. I don't know. We do know, however, that money was being funneled to terrorists.

Telling me that Bush is a threat to my country is I believe a rule violation so I won't respond in kind but rather have the mods make the determination on that one.
January 30th, 2005  
CPrime

And wat is it that people have with the UN? The UN is suposed to bring nations together, bring peace to the world and fight for human rights. But all that the UN does is bothering the US. There always is something for the UN to complain about when the US does something.
January 30th, 2005  
OutcastHuman

The UN doesn't want war so they won't allow nations to defend themselves. Our motivation for this war is to fight terrorism which we are doing at this very moment. I would love to see any of your countries just sit back and let civilians die after something like 9/11. Im sorry but i garuntee none of your countries would sit back. They would all ask the UN to take military action against terrorism and terrorism related countries like Iraq.
January 30th, 2005  
Whispering Death

This is pretty much just going to devolve into a shouting match, but here's my .02

First off, anyone who says it is a 'war for oil' does not deserve my attention. You are not knowledgeable in the military arts and sciences if you believe that BS.

It was and still is a moral war. I defy anyone to tell me how it is morally wrong to liberate millions of people from the most evil, opressive, and tyranical ruler currently in the world. There is no right thinking person who can say that is not a noble goal.

Was it a perfectly neccessary war? Debateable, Saddam didn't have WMDs so the world's intelligence networks are VERY VERY VERY WRONG and need to be fixed. That is a very very very bad mistake to make CIA etc.

Did Bush make the right decision to invade? In my opinion, I would have voted out the person who made any other decision. If I had just been attacked on 9/11 and I have the CIA, NSA, Pentagon, Irailes, English, French and Russian intelligence agencies all tell me that Saddam had WMDs there is no way in hell I would not attack. Intelligence networks from all accross the globe and all of my domestic ones are telling me "He's got them, and he might give them to al-quaida" how can I make any other decision? What else is any good president supposed to do, go to the CIA, NSA, Pentagon, Isaelis, English, French, and Russians and say, "well, you might be right but politically I don't want to risk going to war with Iraq, Saddam seems like a good guy, surely he wouldn't work with al-Quaida to hurt us"?
January 30th, 2005  
OutcastHuman

Many countries thought Saddam as a threat. If we didn't why would the UN sanction him and make him trade oil for food. The WORLD saw Saddam as a threat and the UN did do something but the US is finishing the job and I say good for us. Im glad we invaded and freed millions of people. Im glad we stopped the killing of innocent Iraqis from a tryanical dictator. Im glad we are spreading democracy. Im glad we are fighting terrorism. The WORLD is afraid to get its hands dirty when we need to but the US does and I praise my country for it.
January 30th, 2005  
A Can of Man

The UN were hypocritical here. Remember, Saddam Hussein did violate UN declarations time and again, almost making it seem comical. Eventually it came down to 1441, I think that was the crucial one which actually endorsed teh use of force if Saddam did not comply.
The US and the UK wanted to follow through on this resolution, but the UN, which had written up and signed it (the members anyway) suddenly turned a blind eye to it.
Now what on earth would that do to the already made "joke" status of UN resolutions?? Truth is, this war was not illegal. The UN acted without principle.

Speaking of which, the WMD thing was wrong. But it required a whole lot of people, a whole lot of organizations from a whole lot of countries to screw up to get this one wrong. But in the end, this turned out to be a huge mistake and was the big black mark on George W Bush's record.

As for the conflict now. The conflict NOW is very different from the one that started. Success or failure in Iraq could mean security or even more disaster for the West as a whole in future. The 1993 Mogadishu incident was often seen as one of those events that helped solidify the Al Qaeda movement because it showed that they could defeat the Americans, even if they inflicted small casaulties. If Iraq is lost, Iraq will fall into chaos and for a while, anarchy. Anti-West groups can find themselves bolstered by this victory as a rally cry against western ideological "imperialism."

WAR FOR OIL????

Let me tell you that if this was a war for oil, this may have been the dumbest war ever in the history of the US.
Do you realize how much cheaper, effective and politically sound it would be to just buy out Saddam's government, including Saddam to get Iraqi oil? Just have an agreement like so: We'll keep you (Saddam) in power, we won't let anyone touch you, and we'll even give you some money into your personal funds if you let us buy your oil for a good price. We're America. We're not France or Germany. We can guarantee your security.
DONE! Easy!

I've lived in Indonesia and there are many foreign oil companies there. Companies in general anyways. These guys are smart. This is how it'd work. If anything, oil companies would have wanted to STOP that war and gone with the option above instead. More stability. No need to worry about terrorists blowing up riggs... remember the first Gulf War and how the Iraqis opened up and put fire to the oil fields?

This was not a war for oil. The FIRST Gulf War was, because they actually risked having even Saudi oil fall into the hands of Saddam Hussein, and therefore would put Saddam in the stronger position. 2003 Saddam was no where near that position. He could have been bought and negotiated with.
January 30th, 2005  
chewie_nz

ok, war for oil is the DUMBEST anti war argument i have ever heard. but another topic we always hear is "freedom" "democracy" "justice" "liberation"

tell that to the people of north korea (who do have WMD's plus the means to deliver them, no question) or zimbabwe (robert mugabe is africas very own hitler)

i refute any comment joining iraq and saddam husain with 9/11. it just doesn't make any sense. 9/11 & afghanistan? sure, they attacked you...go for it. and the UN didn't get in your way then...and nor did your friends and allies. but suddenly, it's a different country and a completely different story.