Was was your least favorite duty station?

Least Favorite

my least favorite station...Thule AB Greenland...that is could they have gotten me there! I actually went to Shemya AFB in the Alaskan Alueitians instead!

River's Barracks in Giessen Germany - now closed, thank God. Not a real good place to spend your time, particularly during the Fall (rainy), Winter (cold and snowy) or Spring (rainy again). Summers were good, but we usually went to Grafenwoehr then. The barracks themselves were years overdue for renovation too.

SSG Rubin Rivers was a fine soldier (Medal of Honor Winner from WWII) and a good man, by all accounts, so why anyone would name that place after him still puzzles me to this day.

Fort Sam Houston isn't much of a winner either as I'm not partial to high humidity and lots of B :cen: S.

Fort Riley was absolutely BORING. Dead in the middle of Kansas, surrounded by nothing but yellow grass. In the summer, it was HOT enough to shut down work a few times, in the winter, it was so cold, they shut down training more than once.

Really a very horrible, very BORING place. Worst 18 months of my life.

Moron AB, Spain. Gosh the trip to Seville were neat but fighting the mice for food in the chow how or trying to find something other than spam at the nex for the grill was a true nightmare. On the brighter side of life, there were lemon and lime trees outside the conting. dorms which made the tequilla taste much better the cruz campos... been there? you know what I mean. Actually riding the worker bus to town could be quite the circus in itself..

the worse duty station anywhere has to be those people that have to work in camp wilson. Where the hell is camp wilson it is inside the base in 29palms CA thats the worse play to be at. anyone in the marines that did CAX in 29palms CA know what im talking about.

I agree - Camp Wilson was definately bad (talk about austere operating environment, there was almost nothing there!). However, it was better than the middle of nowhere, which you could see from the north end of the place ...... :roll:

you guys should see Northern Ireland....pipe bombs EVERYDAY.....militants always trying to snipe you.....*shudders*...and you're trying to help the locals and they f***in spit on you! glad i'm not going back there, EVER again. :x

VEK said:
you guys should see Northern Ireland....pipe bombs EVERYDAY.....militants always trying to snipe you.....*shudders*...and you're trying to help the locals and they f***in spit on you! glad i'm not going back there, EVER again. :x

And just who were you with? I've seen Northern Ireland, lived there for some time .. your statement rings of exaggeration.

not me, but i visited a soldier friend there one year.......during some march.(right on the border)

I've had a few

I've had quite a few ones that I didn't enjoy, but my least favorite is. . . . 29 Palms California. . . . Humping a pack in 115 degree dry heat . . . that's friendly conditions.

This is a trick question. Your favorite station is always the one you just left or the one you are getting ready to go to. your least favorite is always the one you are at. ;) I really don't have a least favorite but the one that sucked the most was Ft. Irwin California I was only there for an NTC rotation with the 82nd. So as you know the 82nd doesn't use tanks so we walked a long way while there. every mission was just a couple of miles down the road. Yeah right I don't think we walked to a single mission that was less than 10 miles down the road. Doesn't sound that far but walk it carrying your 80 pound plus ruck sack on your back and also your weapon and usually an AT weapon of some sort. BE it the AT-4 or the Javelin or something handy like that.

Back