Who is your hero?

Another high on the list should be Sergeant Major Charles Coward who saved many lives of concentration camp inmates while he was a POW. He also accidentally recieved an Iron Cross.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Coward

Captured during World War II who rescued Jews from Auschwitz.

Coward joined the Army in June 1937. He was captured in May 1940 near Calais while serving with the 8th Reserve Regimental Royal Artillery as Quartermaster Battery Sergeant Major. He managed to make two escape attempts before even reaching a prisoner-of-war camp, and then made seven further escapes, on one memorable occasion managing to be awarded the Iron Cross while posing as a wounded soldier in a German army field hospital. When in captivity he was equally troublesome, organising numerous acts of sabotage while out on work details.

Finally, in December 1943, he was transferred to Auschwitz III (Monowitz) labour camp only five miles from the better-known extermination camp of Auschwitz II (Birkenau). Monowitz was under the direction of the industrial company IG Farben, who were building a Buna (synthetic rubber) and liquid fuel plant there. It housed over 10,000 Jewish slave labourers, as well as POWs and forced labourers from all over occupied Europe.

Thanks to his command of the German language, Coward was appointed Red Cross liaison officer for the 1,200-1,400 British prisoners. In this trusted role he was allowed to move fairly freely throughout the camp and often to surrounding towns. He witnessed the arrival of trainloads of Jews to the extermination camp, followed by their 'selection' for either slave labour or the gas chambers. Coward and the other British prisoners smuggled food and other items to the Jewish inmates, even supplying dynamite to the Sonderkommando in a partially successful attempt to blow up the gas chambers and crematoria. He also exchanged coded messages with the British authorities via letters to a fictitious Mr. William Orange, giving military information, notes on the conditions of POWs and prisoners in the camps, as well as dates and numbers of the arrival of trainloads of Jews to the extermination camp.

In 1963 Coward was named among the Righteous Among the Nations and had a tree planted in his honour in the Avenue of Righteous Gentiles in Yad Vashem. In 2003 Coward was further commemorated with the mounting of a blue plaque at his home at 133 Chichester Road, Edmonton, London, where he lived from 1945 until his death.

You HAVE to be badass when you're named Coward.

My hero would have to be Simo Hayha. I can't paste anything on this craptastic PS3 browser, so just search for him on Wikipedia. Even if the figures are exaggerated, he was simply amazing.

In the civil world, I'd have to say Thomas Jefferson.

Another high on the list should be Sergeant Major Charles Coward who saved many lives of concentration camp inmates while he was a POW. He also accidentally recieved an Iron Cross.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Coward

Captured during World War II who rescued Jews from Auschwitz.

Coward joined the Army in June 1937. He was captured in May 1940 near Calais while serving with the 8th Reserve Regimental Royal Artillery as Quartermaster Battery Sergeant Major. He managed to make two escape attempts before even reaching a prisoner-of-war camp, and then made seven further escapes, on one memorable occasion managing to be awarded the Iron Cross while posing as a wounded soldier in a German army field hospital. When in captivity he was equally troublesome, organising numerous acts of sabotage while out on work details.

Finally, in December 1943, he was transferred to Auschwitz III (Monowitz) labour camp only five miles from the better-known extermination camp of Auschwitz II (Birkenau). Monowitz was under the direction of the industrial company IG Farben, who were building a Buna (synthetic rubber) and liquid fuel plant there. It housed over 10,000 Jewish slave labourers, as well as POWs and forced labourers from all over occupied Europe.

Thanks to his command of the German language, Coward was appointed Red Cross liaison officer for the 1,200-1,400 British prisoners. In this trusted role he was allowed to move fairly freely throughout the camp and often to surrounding towns. He witnessed the arrival of trainloads of Jews to the extermination camp, followed by their 'selection' for either slave labour or the gas chambers. Coward and the other British prisoners smuggled food and other items to the Jewish inmates, even supplying dynamite to the Sonderkommando in a partially successful attempt to blow up the gas chambers and crematoria. He also exchanged coded messages with the British authorities via letters to a fictitious Mr. William Orange, giving military information, notes on the conditions of POWs and prisoners in the camps, as well as dates and numbers of the arrival of trainloads of Jews to the extermination camp.

In 1963 Coward was named among the Righteous Among the Nations and had a tree planted in his honour in the Avenue of Righteous Gentiles in Yad Vashem. In 2003 Coward was further commemorated with the mounting of a blue plaque at his home at 133 Chichester Road, Edmonton, London, where he lived from 1945 until his death.

This guy lived in Edmonton; besides all this glory he also must have been a Tottenham Hotspur supporter, and so ticks all the boxes for me. I second this man.

This guy lived in Edmonton; besides all this glory he also must have been a Tottenham Hotspur supporter, and so ticks all the boxes for me. I second this man.

I didnt live too far from Charles Coward as a boy, I wish I had met such a brave man.

How sad it is, that this man isnt given the recognition he deserves by his own country?

newjarheaddan

Man I laughed at this one

But I have no idea but I have the most respect for chaka Zulu for someone who died none the less he was a great warrior that I look up to and hope to have something to be like

Last edited by a moderator:
2nd Lieutenant Arun Khetarpal (14 October 1950 - 16 December 1971) born in Pune,Maharashtra, was an officer of the Indian Army and a posthumous recipient of the Param Vir Chakra, India's highest military decoration for valour in face of the enemy. 2nd Lt Khetrapal fell in the Battle of Basantar or Battle of Barapind during the Bangladesh war where his actions earned him his honour.
On 16 December 1971, the Squadron Commander of ‘B’ Squadron, the Poona Horse asked for reinforcement as the Pakistani Armour which was superior in strength, counter attacked at Jarpal, in the Shakargarh Sector. On hearing this transmission, Second Lieutenant Arun Khetarpal who was in ‘A’ Squadron, voluntarily moved along with his troop, to assist the other squadron. En route, while crossing the Basantar River, Second Lieutenant Arun Khetarpal and his troop came under fire from enemy strong points and RCL gun nests that were still holding out. Time was at a premium and as critical situation was developing in the ‘B’ Squadron sector, Lieutenant Arun Khetarpal, threw caution to the winds and started attacking the impending enemy strong points by literally charging them, overrunning the defence works with his tanks and capturing the enemy infantry and weapon crew at pistol point. In commander of his troop was killed. Second Lieutenant Arun Khetarpal continued to attack relentlessly until all enemy opposition was overcome and he broke through towards the ‘B’ Squadron position, just in time to see the enemy tanks pulling back after their initial probing attack on this squadron. He was so carried away by the wild enthusiasm of battle and the impetus of his own headlong dash that he started chasing the withdrawing tanks and even managed to shoot and destroy one. Soon thereafter, the enemy reformed with a squadron of armour for a second attack and this time they selected the sector held by Second Lieutenant Arun Khetarpal and two other tanks as the points for their main effort. A fierce tank fight ensured ten enemy tanks were hit and destroyed of which Second Lieutenant Arun Khetarpal was severely wounded. He was asked to abandon his tank but he realised that the enemy though badly decimated was continuing to advance in his sector of responsibility and if he abandoned his tank the enemy would break through, he gallantry fought on and destroyed another enemy tank, At this stage his tank received a second hit which resulted in the death of this gallant officer.
Second Lieutenant Arun Khetarpal was dead but he had, by his intrepid valour saved the day; the enemy was denied the breakthrough he was so desperately seeking. Not one enemy tank got through.
Second Lieutenant Arun Khetarpal had shown the best qualities of leadership, tenacity of purpose and the will to close in with the enemy. This was an act of courage and self-sacrifice far beyond the call of duty.

Cmdr Evans of the Destroyer USS Johnston off Samar

in the Phillipenes.
While his 3 jeep carriers and 7 DD'z and DE'Z were under attack by the IJN battleship Yamato,4 heavy cruiser's and 17 destroyers ,he reversed course without orders and attacked.
Sinking a heavy cruieser and damaging another and slowing the enemy fleet ,so the Jeep carriers could get away.

Awarded the Medal of Honor,,,,Postumously.

Last edited:
despite his faults,Saddam Hussien is my hero.he did face america, didnt give up and was hanged like a lion.

Jim Swett

Jim Swett
I dont know about you but I like this Ace.
Here is some info about him from wikipedia:
Biography

Born on June 15, 1920 in Seattle, Washington, James E. Swett graduated from San Mateo High School, San Mateo, California, and enrolled at the College of San Mateo in 1939. He earned a private pilot’s license, which amounted to 450 more hours of flying than he received during his Navy flight training. He enlisted in the U.S. Naval Reserve as a seaman second class on August 26, 1941, and started flight training in September.[2]

It would be my stepdad. He's a 0-4 in the navy and is a EA-6b bomber pilot and he got a purple heart for saving the pilot in his cockpits life. he was getting thot at and i guess he kows his manuevers:CG:

Holy triple tap, batmat.

Semper Fi Cadet, you know there is an edit function for your posts, right? Try that next time instead of the multiple posts. It will make things easier on you and everybody else.
:thumb:

My hero is a CSM I have known since I was a boy. He is pretty much walking perfection and he takes care of the troops. He was the one to push me into serving. He is excactly what a Infantryman CSM should be.

Vicar Christian Führer, the inventor and organizer of the "Peace Prayers" of autumn 1989 in Leipzig, East Germany, confronting the communist administration and their STASI gorillas, and dubbed the "father" of the death-toll free fall of the wall (and through this of the end of the cold war?), today forgotten:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_F%C3%BChrer

Rattler

Last edited:
A few people comes to mind for me, in no particular order:

Herbert Jones , during the Falkland war he charged on a suicide run to prevent British forces from being pinned down by Argentinian HMG fire in the open. He didn't achieve the desired effects, and died a few yards away from the MG but what he did was insanely brave to me.

Paul Ray Smith , he manned a forward MG in a exposed Humvee turret to protect dozens of wounded soldiers. Despite being severely wounded he held on and annihilated 50-82 insurgents before mortars targeted his location, giving him a mortal wound and taking him out of the fight. The fact that he manned a location that meant certain death to prevent a hospital from being over-run is cause enough, but manning it for a prolonged period and inflicted significant damage to the enemy..

There was another soldier in Korea..i dont know his name, but his entire unit was pinned down by sustained fire from several PLA/KPA MGs in bunkers that prevented a withdraw or advance. He single handedly charged and took all of them out, returning several times to the line for ammunition.

Back