young marines

rotc boy

well, i searched this so if it is a topic already, i didnt see it, well here goes:

what exactly do the young marines do, and do you have to pay for it or is it free?

rotc boy said:
well, i searched this so if it is a topic already, i didnt see it, well here goes:

what exactly do the young marines do, and do you have to pay for it or is it free?

What the H*LL are you talking about?

Young Marines, I'm assuming is similar, if not the same as Young Leathernecks. Clark, it's basically like Sea Cadets/CAP, except more oriented in a Marine sense.

The nearest division to me is 80 miles away which is keeping me from joining, but I'd assume that it'd be the same as any other cadet program except maybe terminology/uniforms/focus.

DlanoeG said:
Young Marines, I'm assuming is similar, if not the same as Young Leathernecks. Clark, it's basically like Sea Cadets/CAP, except more oriented in a Marine sense.

The nearest division to me is 80 miles away which is keeping me from joining, but I'd assume that it'd be the same as any other cadet program except maybe terminology/uniforms/focus.

Never heard of Young Leathernecks. Anyway, the reason I didn't join Young Marines is the same as yours. The nearest unit is near Quantico and I live in Richmond. Good Lord, was that a wrong choice! I ended up joining a CAP unit, instead. I see the YM's running around, climbing trees and chasing cars down the road and rolling around in the mud... Then I turn around and meet another "safety briefing"(Don't put your hands on the burner, Jonny. It hurts) or a "We can't do this because we'll get sued"... Are you getting my point?

Not to bomb on the CAP or anything. It's a great organization and all, but YM puts it to shame.

So I take it CAP wasn't as hardcore as you would want? (considering joining)

Yea......the nearest Young Marine division is 89 miles away:cry:. If it's as Ooh-rah as you say though, I might have to see if it's worth the drive in a couple months. If there's any mention of marksmanship and their dress blues though, sign my ass up pronto.

Damn....I can't find a thing on the Young Leathernecks, but the website strikes me as insanely familiar, so it might actually be the same thing. :scratches head:

It has nothing to do with being hardcore. It has everything to do with the many sad cases of "leaders" getting way out of hand with their bit of "authority." I don't see that problem with the YMs. They are closely monitered and taught by real Marines. CAP is monitered and taught by CAP. Our National HQ has it's head stuck WAY up its ass. I could list the vaious and sundry grievances I have with certain people, the Wing, Region, and National levels as whole groups, etc, but I'd have to write a freaking book. I'm just sick of CAP. That's all.

Aah, I see what you mean. I haven't really seen that kind of problem with Sea Cadets, however, there are a couple of Petty Officers that like to go on power trips on a regular basis.

I know I'm threadjacking, but what kind of activities do you guys do in CAP besides the standard Drill formations and PT, what is it that you do that differentiates you from the other cadet elements. I know you guys learn about aviation, but do you get the chance to fly too? Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I'm just really wondering about what I want to do as far as joining CAP or if YM is worth driving to. PM me if you don't want to jack the thread any further.

DlanoeG said:
Aah, I see what you mean. I haven't really seen that kind of problem with Sea Cadets, however, there are a couple of Petty Officers that like to go on power trips on a regular basis.

I know I'm threadjacking, but what kind of activities do you guys do in CAP besides the standard Drill formations and PT, what is it that you do that differentiates you from the other cadet elements. I know you guys learn about aviation, but do you get the chance to fly too? Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I'm just really wondering about what I want to do as far as joining CAP or if YM is worth driving to. PM me if you don't want to jack the thread any further.

Why join two cadet organizations for one, and when we Sea Cadets not only are better then everyone else, but we know it. Actually I believe we are better due to organization and it being the Navy. But I'm cool with everyone else except the Young marines, but there was this one girl at my school that's in CAP that seriously thought CAP was JROTC. Sea Cadets, CAP, and Young Marines are not JROTC programs, they are Cadet organizations, and that is it. Unless your one of those adult officers in CAP that flys a plain on search and Rescue ops.

I do hear a lot of CAP trashing at Sea Cadets... :lol: But I dunno, I'd really like to join two cadet programs to get a firm military feel so in the future when I really get myself in I'm not surprised. I really wish we had a JROTC here though :(...

Why aren't you cool with the Young Marines might I ask?

DlanoeG said:
I do hear a lot of CAP trashing at Sea Cadets... :lol: But I dunno, I'd really like to join two cadet programs to get a firm military feel so in the future when I really get myself in I'm not surprised. I really wish we had a JROTC here though :(...

Why aren't you cool with the Young Marines might I ask?

Because they are cheap... Period because they only have two trainings Boot and Advanced Boot. And Becuase I'm Navy all the Way, so Stay Navy.

theres a Young Marines unit over at the middle school by my high school...
but i know the kid that is the one of the sgt's for it and i prefer to stay away from him...
(hes always hitting me when something goes wrong...)

i was gonna do Young Marines but the nearest one , while a little closer, is still quite a drive away. anyone know of a unit around Gaylord MI?

silent driller said:
DlanoeG said:

Never heard of Young Leathernecks. Anyway, the reason I didn't join Young Marines is the same as yours. The nearest unit is near Quantico and I live in Richmond. Good Lord, was that a wrong choice! I ended up joining a CAP unit, instead. I see the YM's running around, climbing trees and chasing cars down the road and rolling around in the mud... Then I turn around and meet another "safety briefing"(Don't put your hands on the burner, Jonny. It hurts) or a "We can't do this because we'll get sued"... Are you getting my point?

Not to bomb on the CAP or anything. It's a great organization and all, but YM puts it to shame.
Exact same thing with me!

Heres what I got for nearest unit...

You Searched For:

Zip=32444
Within 150 mile radius of Lynn Haven, FL
2 Matches Found (displaying 1 to 2)
Big Bend
Mr. James Burke jburke@dos.state.fl.us
Navy/Marine Corps Reserve Center , 2910 Roberts Ave Tallahassee , FL 32310
(850) 878-6426/ 245-6710 http://groups.msn.com/BigBendYoungMarines/_homepag - jburke@dos.state.fl.us and ejburke@unr2.net
About: 71 miles

Back