Yom Kippur

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHERMAN

Yom Kippur is on Monday. As you may know, it is a jewish holiday that is about asking forgivness and forgiving. In Yom Kippur of 1973, Arab countries serrounding Israel launched a surprise attack on Israel.
ANY QUESTIONS OR DISCUSSION ABOUT THAT WAR ARE WELCOMED IN THIS THREAD....

pretty smart of em wasnt it? lol
israel would be like "sorry cant fight today, were on holiday":lol:

Israel's success in fighting off it's neighbors ALMOST makes me think there is some truth to their belief that they are the chosen people. I think Israel's success is because Israel has a professional army where most of their Arab neighbors have conscript armies, except Jordan, who also happened to have the most success against Israel. (Jordan was pretty much the only country not to have been completely routed by Israel at least once.) And the Jordanians were always the most hesitant to go to war with Israel.

Israel's success in fighting off it's neighbors ALMOST makes me think there is some truth to their belief that they are the chosen people. I think Israel's success is because Israel has a professional army where most of their Arab neighbors have conscript armies, except Jordan, who also happened to have the most success against Israel. (Jordan was pretty much the only country not to have been completely routed by Israel at least once.) And the Jordanians were always the most hesitant to go to war with Israel.

You were not correct in describing the Israeli Army as professional army.
It has been and it is a conscript army.
Every man and unmarried woman has to serve.

But they are far better trained and equipped than their Arab counterparts. It's a matter of opinion I guess, technically Israel's army is a conscript army, but ti seems to me like there are so many, often subtle, differences between Israel's army and your typical conscripts that labeling them as a conscript Army would not be giving them enough credit.

But they are far better trained and equipped than their Arab counterparts. It's a matter of opinion I guess, technically Israel's army is a conscript army, but ti seems to me like there are so many, often subtle, differences between Israel's army and your typical conscripts that labeling them as a conscript Army would not be giving them enough credit.

Then you have to choose a different area of comparison - beter equipped, better trained, more dedicated, etc.

The problem with word "professional" when you are talking about armies is that this word has two anthonyms : "unprofessional" and "conscript".
This confuses people...

Then you have to choose a different area of comparison - beter equipped, better trained, more dedicated, etc.

The problem with word "professional" when you are talking about armies is that this word has two anthonyms : "unprofessional" and "conscript".
This confuses people...

True, but i guess he meant "professional" as an adjective implying "professionalism", and not the technical status.

True, but i guess he meant "professional" as an adjective implying "professionalism", and not the technical status.
Thats' what I call confusion!

What is his remark:

"Israel's success in fighting off it's neighbors ALMOST makes me think there is some truth to their belief that they are the chosen people. I think Israel's success is because Israel has a professional army where most of their Arab neighbors have conscript armies, except Jordan, who also happened to have the most success against Israel."

I just put in bold his comparison: professional vs. conscript

Israels army is not a proffesional army in that its troops are not career soldiers. it dose have proffesional methods and knowledge.

there are very, very, very few combat active NCOs....mostly in SOF units...the rest of NCOs are paper pushers....The real proffesional soldiers are the combat officers...

As I see it, the Israelis have an advantage is that their conscription applies to all males of a certain age similar in many ways to the system of the Swiss. Young men and women grow up knowing that they will be called to serve, and that the civil population see this as an honourable thing to do.

I can't speak for other countries, but here in Australia there are many persons who use up the system but are neither willing to defend it nor support those who do.

As I see it, the Israelis have an advantage is that their conscription applies to all males of a certain age similar in many ways to the system of the Swiss. Young men and women grow up knowing that they will be called to serve, and that the civil population see this as an honourable thing to do.

if only all israelis were as convinced as you...:)

either way, this is horribly off toppic and has no real reason to exist....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back