Yankees ride Mr. Reliable

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/sports/4234824

Jeter homers in 5-for-5 night, paces Game 1 win over Tigers

By MARK WHICKER
Orange County Register

NEW YORK - Paper doesn't lie.

Nine New York Yankees names looked just as fearsome in person as they did on the lineup card when they began Division Series play Tuesday night.
The Yankees bunched six hits in a five-run third inning and cruised home to an 8-4 Game 1 victory over the receding Detroit Tigers.
And for those who figured Derek Jeter had done everything in postseason play, the shortstop crossed "go 5-for-5" off his list.
The Kalamazoo, Mich., native doubled twice, singled twice, slammed the 17th home run of his playoff career over the center-field fence, and finished the game off with a slick double-play relay.
"They don't like me much in Detroit," said Jeter. "They call me a sellout because I went to play for the Yankees (and turned down a scholarship to Michigan). But my dad was a big Tiger fan."
It was the fifth five-hit game in postseason history. No one has ever had six.
"You can't ever be afraid to fail in a playoff game," Jeter said, "because you're going to fail more often than not. The key is to make it seem like a regular-season game. It was important to win Game1 at home. We haven't done that in the last few years."
Detroit manager Jim Leyland was miffed that the series was being dubbed "the Yankee varsity scrimmaging the freshman team" and reminded everyone that the Tigers won 95 games, two fewer than the Yankees.
Some might have forgotten. The Tigers lost their final six, giving up 43 runs in the process and losing the AL Central championship to Minnesota. They were 76-36 on Aug.7 but lost 31 of their final 50.
Todd Jones, the closer, told the New York Times it felt "worse than kissing your sister, more like making out with your mom" when the Tigers got their wild-card caps and T-shirts after they lost their final game to Kansas City.
It got more uncomfortable Tuesday.
Lefthander Nate Robertson got through two innings, then cracked the door open by failing to come up with Johnny Damon's leadoff grounder in the third. Before Robertson got the first out, the Yankees had scored five times. The rally climaxed with Jason Giambi's home run.
"My ankle just gave way on the (Damon) grounder," Robertson said. "I just fell. I thought I was a better athlete than that.
"My line looks terrible (12 hits, seven runs in 5 2/3 innings), but I didn't think I pitched that terrible. They just have a way of getting hits."

Back