XM8's competition

You beat me too it, I was just about to post the same article :evil: .

What I like about this better than the XM-8 is the larger caliber foremost. Definitely a significant improvement in terms of performance. Also, the M468 is said to be more reliable under combat conditions. And it has a bayonet mount :D :D .

The M468 also appears to be made out of metal. Another point in my book.

The barrel length is 16", 4 inches better than the XM-8 and that is also a significant inprovement. It is also 4 inches shorter than the M-16.

I like it. I just wonder how it really performs.

I use 5.56 often, and I never shoot to wound. My targets go down. The argument that the 5.56 (while not perfect) is too weak seems to mostly be a big issue with those that have never had to use it, or those that aren't hitting their targets to begin with. Shot placement, folks.

I do not know why folks are getting hard ons over the 6.8. Unless you plan on persuading NATO to go with it (After that huge 5.56 fit we threw) .. it's not going to happen. A better bet would be to focus on getting the Mk 262 out to all and more trigger time for the troops. The 6.8 is not going to change the fact that they aren't hitting their targets to begin with.

I like this weapon, but it is a massive waste of time and resource with the 6.8. I myself, would not be firing any 6.8 rounds into live flesh anytime soon .. I value mine and my men's life to much to go around leaving "Hey! It's the Americans! Follow Us!" signatures all over the bodies.

RnderSafe, in a combat situation can you depend on your shot placement to kill the guy for sure? I honestly don't know I'm not being sarcastic or anything.

FutureRANGER said:
RnderSafe, in a combat situation can you depend on your shot placement to kill the guy for sure? I honestly don't know I'm not being sarcastic or anything.

After 10000 reps muscle memory takes over, this is the reason for training hard. It becomes second nature to double tap to the torso where the rounds should go for the "perfect shot." At normal combat ranges the 5.56X45mm has more than enough energy to put a target down for keeps with a double tap to the torso.

Bad guys don't always go down, for various reasons. Have I had them keep coming after two to the torso? Yes. Some I've taken down with head shots, others I've simply put two more into their chest. I've had that with the 5.56 and various other rounds. However, my experiences tell me my accuracy will determine more than the size of the round.

Do we need to look for improvements in the 5.56? Yes. Going to the 77gr would be a major improvement. But if they aren't hitting their targets to begin with, it really doesn't matter what round is being used.

the 6.8 round could be this weapons downfall also since new rounds will have to be made alongside the 5.56 rounds currently available. That and the logisticvs of a new round on top of new mags, fm's, etc. I doubt the M468 gets really a close look since I believe they are trying to move forward with the OICW concept to incorporate it into Land Warrior.

Is the FN F2000 a possible rival for the XM-8? i would of thought it would be a more versatile weapon and its a bullpup so has a longer barrel i think!

Back