Xlv Rattray's Sikh Battalion Celebrates Its 150yrs Of Raising

roverin

:bravo:In1856 then Capt Thomas Rattray raised a militia called the 1st Bengal Native Police Battalion from the remmnants of the Sikh troops who lost out in the final Anglo-Sikh wars.The force consisted of around a thousand mounted troops and approx five hundred foot soldiers.The troop caste composition consisted of the valiant Sikhs and Indian muslims, both aggressive and martial races.Capt Thomas Rattray was a private gentleman in the EAST INDIA COMPANY and had been granted commission as an Ensign by the reigning Viceroy in 1823.The battalions Officers' Mess still proudly displays the framed commissioning certificate.
In a nut shell ,Capt Thomas Rattray was the life long Commanding officer and his son took over the mantle and was the Co during WW1 and died in action somewhere on the western theatre , probably in Flanders.Col Pip Rattray was the last British Co till 1947 and was the grandson of Capt Thomas Rattray(Capt Thomas later became a COL).The battalon was later re-christianed as the 45th Bengal Native Infantry and is now called the 3 Sikh Battalion.The Battalion still strives to keep alive the time honoured traditions of which courage and fortitude naturally take the lead.

The battalion living upto its name and hoary traditions has acquitted itself commendably in all pre and post independence battles and conflicts.Kudos to these BRAVE SIKHS!

THE INDIAN ARMY IS FULL OF SUCH OLD REGIMENTS AND THEIR HISTORY AND TRADITIONS ARE MIND BOGGLING.

LET'S SEE SOMEBODY BEAT THESE TRADITIONS AND HISTORY.ANY TAKERS?

Last edited:
Sorry Roverin
My Regiment The Queen's Lancashire Regiment celebrate 345 years of history in 2006. Now that's history. :salute2:

Roister2....If I was you I would keep quite for if the Government notices your post they could wind up cutting it or amalgamating it with some thing else.

Le enfield, in that 345 yrs they did several time and will again on 1st july this year, but its still our history.

Great to hear this news but believe me we have regiments and units that date back to 1700's.There"s a battalion called 17 Rajput which was raised in 1700"s the actual date escapes me.They have a lot of war memorabilia including Fd Marshal Auchinleck's Sword and other stuff that would turn the eye of a connoisseur.Their officer's mess in like an museum of martial history.Well this is just to name one of the very many active units in the Indian Army which trace back their past to those hoary days.We have far too many such outfits which are still on the active list.The Madras Sappers trace back their lineage to the Anglo-French wars and to the times of TipU Sultan.

:firedevi:
The only Officially termed Para-mil outfit in India 'The Assam Rifles' were also raised in the 1700s.This outfit fought shoulder to shoulder with the regular forces in the Burma campaign during WW2.

Back