XBOX 360 question

Mr KillKill

Am planning on buying an XBOX 360 but am bit short on cash so was going to buy the version without a hard drive and install one myself. So am after a few answers to see if this is a good option.

1) Can I install my own hard drive, I know you can do it on the versions that come with a hard drive but can you install on a version that doesn't as this is the version I plan to get?

2) How do you go about it, for instance do you need to format the drive or is it a (as long as there is nothing on the drive) plug and play ie; connect the drive, switch on the XBOX and it basically says Hey you have a new drive, do you want to... and so on?

3) What sort of drive can I use, I know that you can't use a SATA and it needs to be IDE (no probs there, have plenty) but is it 2.5 or 3.5 as have heard the 3.5's overheat.

4) What is the largest drive you can install, was planning on putting in a 500Gb drive but would that be too big.

Any help would be much appreciated, Cheers
Oh, should probably point out that am a bit of a noob on this stuff so if they seem (or are) silly questions, please bear with us.

Last edited:
Hello

1. Yes, but you will void the warranty. You might get your console 'banned' as well of Live.

2. There is a video on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6qV3EiuaHI.

3. No, its a SATA drive, any 2.5 will do. I like Seagate myself.

4. I believe the BIOS only supports up to 120 GIG. I wouldnt try anything larger.

Frankly its really not worth it. You end up spending more in the long run. I would either save up for a Premium or buy it used off Ebay

Cheers mate
Did some more trolling through the net and looks like you are right with the more trouble than worth it.
Mainly wanted it to store the games on the XBOX but is there any real nessity for a HDD. I was planning on getting the version without the HDD but didn't want to end up getting it and then find that I should have bought the version with a HDD.
Basically what is the advantage of a HDD.
Also can I buy the version without the hard drive and then later on down the track, if I decide I want one, buy a HDD off Ebay and connect it. Or will I find that the cheap version doesn't have the connections availiable to connect the HDD.

Last edited:
Cheers mate
Did some more trolling through the net and looks like you are right with the more trouble than worth it.
Mainly wanted it to store the games on the XBOX but is there any real nessity for a HDD. I was planning on getting the version without the HDD but didn't want to end up getting it and then find that I should have bought the version with a HDD.
Basically what is the advantage of a HDD.
Also can I buy the version without the hard drive and then later on down the track, if I decide I want one, buy a HDD off Ebay and connect it. Or will I find that the cheap version doesn't have the connections availiable to connect the HDD.

The advantage is huge. Without a HD you won't be able to save your game.
You will not be able to play a game like Mass Effect (which takes 50 hours to complete) or use any game that has unlocks. You also wont be able to download stuff, play MP3s, Demos, etc.

Trust me, the 'ARCADE' version is not worth it.

Back