WWII Quiz - Page 98

--

August 14th, 2006  
MontyB

Ok then something pretty basic to get the ball rolling:

What was unusual about HMS Thunderbolt?
August 15th, 2006  
Dean

She was a sub that sank during her trials as the HMS Thetis. She was then salvaged and re-commissioned as the the HMS Thunderbolt.

Dean.
August 15th, 2006  
MontyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
She was a sub that sank during her trials as the HMS Thetis. She was then salvaged and re-commissioned as the the HMS Thunderbolt.

Dean.
Yep, all yours.
--
August 15th, 2006  
Dean

An easy one...

Who was the best known German tank designer, and what was he better known for?

Dean.
August 15th, 2006  
perseus

Ferdinand Porsche who is best known for designing the original Volkswagen Beetle.
August 15th, 2006  
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus
Ferdinand Porsche who is best known for designing the original Volkswagen Beetle.
You forgot the Doctor Ferdinand, but I'll give it to you anyway.

Go for it, Perseus.

Dean
August 15th, 2006  
perseus

What ship did the Lenin and Stalin help and accompany during the early part of its journey in August 1940? What was its purpose?

As a bonus name some of the diverse range of items the ship was carrying which provided a clue to its planned route.
August 16th, 2006  
boris116

Quote:
Originally Posted by perseus
What ship did the Lenin and Stalin help and accompany during the early part of its journey in August 1940? What was its purpose?

As a bonus name some of the diverse range of items the ship was carrying which provided a clue to its planned route.
it was the German raider "Komet" under Capt. Eyssen.
It has made the North-East Sea route(from Barentz Sea to Bering Sea) with the help of Soviet icebreakers "Lenin" and "Stalin".
After that, it went to Japan and become a raider, has sunk several Dutch, British and ANZAC ships, then returned to Germany in November 1941.
Stalin has given his approval for this deal to help the Germans who paid almost a million DM.

"the "Komet" raider with a displacement of 7500 t, armed with six 5.9-inch guns, six AA guns and six torpedo tubes joined the ranks. Besides, "Komet" carried two hydroplanes, a torpedo boat and 270 mines"

http://www.argo.net.au/andre/raiderKOMETENFIN.htm
August 16th, 2006  
perseus

Correct, in the first part anyway I obtained the information from the same site, but it was this part which amused me

Quote:
Various equipment might have allowed the ship to operate in all possible environments. Amongst it there were a sledge, fur clothes, tropical uniform, mosquito nets and even toys for inhabitants of remote Pacific islands
On the 30th of November (1941) "Komet" arrived (back home) in Hamburg. I wonder if they requested help from the Russians for the return journey by the same route in summer 1941?

Your turn Boris
August 17th, 2006  
boris116

Thanks, Perseus!

The next question:
Who was the intermediary for the Stalin's attempt to reach a separate peace with Germany in 1941?