WWII Quiz

The USSR and Japan signed a declaration ending the state of war in 1956, but no actual peace treaty has yet been signed between the USSR/Russia and Japan. Since the Soviet Union never signed a peace treaty with Japan, and since it no longer exists one could claim the war is over there, or one can say Russia inherited that.

The final instrument of ratification of the Treaty on the Final Settlement with respect to Germany (that of the Soviet Union) was deposited in Bonn on March 15, 1991, bringing the treaty into force and ending the war between Germany and the United States, Great Britain, France, and the Soviet Union.

So far as I know, the dispute between the Soviet Union/Russia and Japan is the only unfinished business from World War II.

The German army had a unit which operated in much the same way as the British SBS.

What was the German name for these units?

They were part of the Brandenburgers. They were used for raids in coastal areas. And their German name was.............?

Last edited:
They were part of the Brandenburgers. They were used for raids in coastal areas. And their German name was.............?

War-steiners? :smile:

Are you talking about the K-men (klienkampfverband or something similar) there was a marine unit as well; the 550 battalion of Marines, I do not know their German name, though

Last edited:
War-steiners? :smile:

Are you talking about the K-men (klienkampfverband or something similar) there was a marine unit as well; the 550 battalion of Marines, I do not know their German name, though
Nope!
The mission statement was:
Partisan fighting by both sea and land, commando operations behind the enemy lines, as well as against enemy ships at sea and in ports.

I know of a British Soldier who was awarde the Iron Cross, but not one reccomended for a VC by the Germans.
I await the answer eagerly!

I know of a British Soldier who was awarde the Iron Cross, but not one reccomended for a VC by the Germans.
I await the answer eagerly!

So was Sergeant Major Charles Coward awarded the Iron Cross, but in error.

I'll give both answers tomorrow morning South African time if no one gets either.

One of the Officers was a New Zealander.

Last edited:
Back