WWII Quiz

The last German unit to lay down their arms was on 23 June 1946.
What unit was it...?

A little help

It was a regular army unit. One of their functions was law and order.
And no; it´s not the Feldgendarmerie.

The last German unit to lay down their arms was on 23 June 1946.
What unit was it...?

A little help

It was a regular army unit. One of their functions was law and order.
And no; it´s not the Feldgendarmerie.

After the surrender of Germany, Feldjägerkommando III remained armed and at the disposal of the US Army in order to maintain discipline amongst the German PoWs. Feldjägerkommando III finally and formally surrendered its arms to the Allies on 23rd June 1946.

http://www.abwehr.co.uk/police/Alternative impressions/FJK.html

Let me try to reinvigorate this thread again

Which troops actually gained operational armed recruits from the front they were advancing over? Hint, they were their own countrymen, but NOT strictly prisoners of the opposition as such.

PS I can't guarantee this is a unique answer

Let me try to reinvigorate this thread again

Which troops actually gained operational armed recruits from the front they were advancing over? Hint, they were their own countrymen, but NOT strictly prisoners of the opposition as such.

PS I can't guarantee this is a unique answer

I will go with the Russians as hundreds of thousands of them were cut off and left wandering the wastes during the German advance, they gradually reformed in partisan units which were incorporated back into the Russian army as they retook land.

I suppose this happened all the time with guerrilla forces.

In this case they were reinforced by troops 'officially' fighting for the other side who were captured!

Not the Russians since they surely would have been executed if found collaborating in the slightest, or even surrendering in some case.

Last edited:
Who is Greatest countries in world war 2. China or Japan or American or German? Soviet union is rubbish countries,they are cowards ,they only dare attacked Japan empire amry after USA drop nuclear bombs to Japan homeland

why the Japanese empire soldiers and Chinese soldiers don't afraid to dead in second war. Because they are trully soldiers, they are warriors.
The USA and Soviet Union get the most benificial from the war world 2. STalin very slip ,Soviet union get most benifits in against Japan war. but after Stalin dead, the China commnuist party take revenge to Soviet Union in 1969.

China PLA said: they very contempt American ,Russia,and European amry ,because they like to surrender,no battle spirit.They are cowards, not a professional soldiers

American and Russia army,are you very hate CCP,want to give them a big lesson ,want to beat them,kill them? come on ,do it.

Re my question 1885.

I haven't got the book with me now

http://www.amazon.com/No-Greater-Ally-Polands-Military/dp/1846033659

It was the Poles advancing up the Adriatic coast of Italy. They encountered their countrymen which were officially fighting on the German side, which were then turned and added to their own side. Whilst in the main they were not willing volunteers. I'm surprised the Poles were so reasonable.

This happened again when advancing through NW Europe.

Last edited:
OK....so is there still a question? Or has the question been answered and people are waiting for someone to pose another question?

If that's the case, then my question is....
What is known as the Doolittle Raid?
Hint: The Pacific War, Shangri-la, B-25s, and extra fuel tanks

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a plan to show the Japanese the USA was not knocked out by the raid on Pearl Harbor.
Jimmie Doolittle, a long-time supporter of Naval aviation and long-range bombers took a hand-picked group of pilots to the desert. They practiced getting their heavily-laden Liberators [I think] into the air in a very short distance.
At first, he didn't explain what it was all about.
It turned out that he loaded those bombers onto a US Navy aircraft carrier [should do a Google to get the name but am too lazy right now]. They sailed as close as possible to Japan but had to take off early as a Japanese ship spotted them. They flew and dropped bombs on Tokyo. They then continued to the Chinese mainland. A lot crashed and some were caught by Japanese troops - some were saved by the Chinese.
The raid did its purpose - to raise the morale of the American people and show the Japanese that, while they had created havoc at Pearl Harbor, we were not down and out.

Check out my blog. :pirate2:
In fact, Yamamoto, the Japanese brain behind Pearl Harbor, always worried about the results and he had not sunk the American aircraft carriers.
It was a milestone in proving just how powerful they were in a time when most admirals thought only battleships and heavy cruises could carry the war forward.

[didn't mean to get so long-winded]

Did Greece save the west in ww2?

Does anyone have any comment on the theory that if Germany had not attacked Greece, but rather attacked Russia 4 weeks earlier, that Russia may have been defeated? Does anyone know of any books on that subject? best wishes to all from Whitby in Canada

Hey ,guys, maybe some one has info about strenght of Red Army in every year from 1941 to 1945 ??
And number of molilized soldiers to Red army during the war by year ?

As I haven't been on the forum for a while, I don't know if this question has been asked.

Which London iconic group helped fight fires during the blitz. That group are still famous (or to some infamous) today and known around the world

Londoners or students of history should know this one.

Last edited:
Back